Health care is big and complicated. At Oscar, we have the privileged position of touching many parts of the system and getting access to the associated data. The Risk team analyzes this data to better understand and modify Oscar’s health care costs and deploy programs and tools. You’ll work alongside data scientists and statisticians, and with other teams on projects across the company.
We’ll throw you in the deep end, expect you to understand complexity, distill it, explain it and drive improvements across the business. Some of the questions we tackle include:
- How do we identify high quality doctors and medical providers?
- How do we intelligently and creatively support our sickest members?
- Can we make sure people are matched with the right level of care when they need it?
- What medical services are worth reviewing or getting a second opinion on?
- How can we figure out what someone is sick with when data is incomplete?
Outstanding structured and critical thinking
- A passion for understanding complex issues with a data driven approach
- A technical bent and the ability to use or to learn to use tools to answer your own questions (e.g. Excel/SQL/Python)
Be someone that gets things done
- Be able to put together a project plan and drive a team of people with different skills to produce tangible results.
- Enjoy experimenting and iterating on different ways to solve a problem.
Zoom in and out
- Willing to master the detail when you need to but also zoom out and have a view on how to shape the bigger picture.
- Be able to do math on on your feet.
- Enjoy switching in and out of business, clinical and social ways of thinking.
The following will be helpful, but are not essential…
- A proven track record in either performing data driven analytical work or project managing complex initiatives.
- Knowledge of health care, health economics, health policy, or health insurance.
Above all, be thoughtful and humble.
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background and perspectives.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy: Oscar's Pay Transparency Policy ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.