Zearn is looking for a Research Scientist to join our team, managing Zearn’s research function with the overarching goal of unlocking the social and scientific value of Zearn’s data. You will develop and coordinate research partnerships with leaders in the fields of motivation science and K-12 mathematics teaching and learning, design high-quality efficacy studies in partnership with external researchers, and proactively lead internal research to generate insights in pursuit of our mission to ensure that all students love learning math.
What you'll do:
- Proactively develop a multi-year Zearn research strategy, mapping out future third-party research partnerships and internal analyses
- Coordinate with third-party research teams for upfront design an ongoing management of studies regarding Zearn efficacy, learning science, and motivation science, among other topics
- Help disseminate research findings via published studies, conference presentations, etc.
- Lead internal research leveraging Zearn’s unique learning database to draw insights regarding Zearn Math impact on student achievement, growth mindsets, etc.
- Strengthen Zearn’s organizational culture of data-driven decision making
Ideal candidates will have:
- Ability to design, organize, and coordinate multiple complex research projects
- Experience conducting studies using quasi-experimental methods such as regression discontinuity, fixed effects, difference-in-differences, and propensity score matching.
- Knowledge of statistical data analysis methodology and experience using R, SAS, STATA or equivalent
- Experience with storing and querying data in enterprise settings, for example knowledge of SQL, relational databases, and/or data warehouses (e.g. Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake), is a plus
- Ability to write for multiple audiences, including practitioners, policymakers, and the general public
- 3+ years demonstrated experience working in research/evaluation
- Degree or advanced coursework in statistics, econometrics, or other quantitative social science disciplines
- Exceptional curiosity; a drive to explore and understand data, learn what it means, and use it to help our team improve Zearn
- A love of learning, and a love of math
- A commitment to Zearn’s mission of providing an exceptional education to all children
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. We also offer a collegial and passionate culture and the potential to positively impact the lives of millions of children.