Our mission: helping individuals and organizations thrive by eliminating every barrier to mental health.
Spring Health is a comprehensive mental health benefit for employers. We help employees understand their mental health issues and connect with best-in-class providers to get the right treatment at the right time.
From early detection to full recovery, Spring Health is the only clinically validated solution in the market proven to be more effective than traditional mental healthcare. By combining the latest technology with vetted providers, we help engage 1 in 3 employees, reduce recovery times, and lower healthcare costs. We are an award-winning, passionate, and mission-driven team with the support of leaders in psychiatry. We have raised over $300 million to date from prominent investors including Kinnevik, Tiger Global, Northzone, RRE Ventures, Rethink Impact, Work-Bench, William K Warren Foundation, SemperVirens, Able Partners, True Capital Ventures, and a strategic investor Guardian Life Insurance. Thanks to their partnership, our current valuation has reached $2 billion.
We are looking for a Research Scientist to join our R&D team. You will be responsible for researching, designing, developing, and implementing data products throughout our organization. You will collaborate with a team of engineers, designers, product managers, social workers, psychologists, and scientists. You will use statistics and visualization tools to turn real-world clinical data into actionable insights for patients, providers, employers, and health plans.
We are creating the future of mental healthcare: within your first year, you’ll discover something no human ever knew before about mental health.
What you’ll do at Spring Health:
- Develop statistical frameworks for evaluating the quality of mental health clinicians
- Develop novel algorithmic approaches for matching patients with specific treatment providers to improve clinical outcomes
- Iterate and improve existing statistical approaches used to develop care plans for individual patients that maximise the likelihood of remission
- Develop and execute study designs for prospective comparative efficacy studies
- Create secure data deliverables across multiple contexts, such as: claims analyses/financial ROI, longitudinal treatment outcomes, provider quality, and risk stratification algorithms.
What we expect from you:
- PhD in Applied Sciences (e.g. Psychology, Economics, Biology, Biochemistry) or another STEM-related field, or 5-6 years of equivalent data analysis experience
- Fluency in R
- Exceptional statistical ability (you know what zero-inflation is, you know the difference between bagging and boosting, you know when propensity matching doesn’t work — and you can explain all three to a product manager)
- Strong presentation skills — fluently tell a compelling clinical or business story with data
- Strong written communication skills — quickly compose client-facing communications or publications for peer-review
- Experience with Git, Python, SQL, parallel/distributed computing, cloud computing, and other data science toolkits.
- Initiative and ability to self-direct projects and solve unconventional problems
- Proximity to NYC: minimum 2 days per week in our NY HQ, max 3 days remote
What we’d love to see:
- Publications in high-impact (IF>10) peer-reviewed outlets (or experience in creating and selling new product lines from scratch)
- Demonstrated passion for, and understanding of, mental illness and broader U.S. healthcare system
- Experience using data visualization techniques to present key findings
- Ability to quickly and independently pick up concepts and skills
- Experience working cross-functionally with operations, product, engineering, and design teams
Why you’ll love working at Spring Health:
- Competitive compensation plan, including equity in the company: we want you to own a piece of what you’re building.
- Comprehensive benefits: we offer 401k, health, dental and vision benefits as well as free mental healthcare!
- World-leading science: we’re shaping the future of mental healthcare, and are at the forefront of peer-reviewed science. You’ll be the first human to discover something about how to treat mental illness.
- Flexible vacation plan: our open vacation-policy allows you to take the time off you need when you need it.
- Great people: make an impact on something that truly helps people alongside an incredible team.
- We care about diversity: diversity allows us to build an excellent patient experience. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- We value: humility, entrepreneurship, passion for mental health, honesty and candor/directness
In addition to finding people who are truly excellent at what they do, we take our values at Spring Health seriously:
Members Come First We are genuine member advocates.
Move Fast to Change Lives We build with urgency and intention.
Take Ownership We extend trust and hold ourselves accountable.
Embrace Diverse Teams & Perspectives We find strength in the diversity of cultural backgrounds, ideas, and experiences.
Science Will Win We will achieve impact by innovation and evidence based frameworks.
Candor with Care We are open, honest and empathetic.
If you're interested in the role, please submit your CV/Resume via email to [email protected], along with one code sample and one writing sample.
The code samples can be in any language, and the writing sample should either be 250 words, or include a 250 word abstract. Communication skills are really important to us, and we are particularly looking for a simple, direct writing style and the ability to articulate a question and research methodology clearly.
Spring Health is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable legal requirements. Spring Health is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Read Full Job Description