Researcher, Graphika Labs
Graphika is a rapidly growing startup that uses network analysis methods to identify communities of interest in a wide variety of social media spaces: in the US and around the world, on Twitter, in Facebook, and in YouTube forums, just to name a few. Our scientists can identify coherent "clusters" of people united by shared interest in a band, a car, or a cause; track the influencers and conversation leaders of a cluster over time; and analyze the path of viral messages as they spread rapidly through these communities.
Join Graphika as a Researcher
Graphika seeks a full-time Researcher with experience and interest in social networks, big data analysis, and social media.
Approximately 70% of the Researcher’s work will be dedicated to advancing Graphika’s research agenda. This includes operationalizing social science models in code, suggesting parameter ranges for models, writing research papers, and attending conferences and workshops. The other 30% of the Researcher’s duties will be dedicated to improving Graphika’s core technologies in clustering and big data analysis, with a focus on social networks and social media.
Social Network, Big Data, Social Media, Social Contagions
Note: This role could be Researcher or Junior Researcher depending on experience.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct primary research in testing social science theories based on large-scale analysis of social media data and simulation environments
- Invent technologies for fully automating Graphika’s core capabilities (for example: graph labeling, automatic graph layout, clustering aggregation and summarization)
- Design algorithms to scale up key Graphika metrics to the scale of millions, then billions of nodes and edges
- Help build Graphika’s patent portfolio by inventing and documenting key technologies, algorithms, and designs
- Work in an interdisciplinary team of researchers and developers (some travel required: three to four times a year)
- Publish and present results to both the academic community and to non-scientists
- Contribute to Graphika’s scientific grant applications
Qualifications and Skills
- Experience working with big data (e.g. tens of millions of records)
- Research skills including data parsing, modeling, and visualization
- Scientific Computing proficiency, e.g. Python, C++, Julia, R, Scala, etc. and/or data analysis software proficiency, e.g. MATLAB, SAS, Gephi
- Preferred 1+ years’ industry experience working on data analysis, building software, converting science into applications
- Preferred Master’s or Ph.D. in Sociology, Computer Science, Information Science, or related field
- Good communication and presentation skills
For all roles at Graphika, we require competency in the following areas:
- Collaboration - everything we do requires input from across the organization
- Discretion - the nature of our work requires maturity and sound judgment
- Flexibility - Graphika is a small but mighty team and sometimes that means jumping in where you are needed
- Objectivity - we see *all kinds* of data in our work and sometimes it requires compartmentalization
- Prioritization - a constant flow of work means making daily choices about what is most important
Benefits and Perks
- 100% Employer-Paid Health, Vision, and Dental for all employees and 50% coverage for employees' families
- Unlimited PTO with a required minimum 10 days vacation/year as well as a flexible remote work policy
- Benefits and perks from Insperity, our PEO, including an Employee Assistance Program, WageWorks pre-tax commuter benefits, Insperity's marketplace
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for medical and dependent care.
- WeWork membership for NYC-based employees