Senior Analytics Engineer at Betterment
Analytics is one of the fastest growing teams at Betterment. We operate with a 360-degree view of the company, working closely with teams such as Engineering, Finance, Product, and Operations to partner and advise on creating the best experience for our users. Projects range from propensity modeling to creating beautiful dashboards that provide a pulse on the business to developing infrastructure that enables the entire Analytics team to answer key strategic questions.
The Analytics Engineering team sits at the intersection of Product Analytics, Business Intelligence, and Data Engineering - serving as the domain and technical experts that translate business needs into beautiful data products. We own data cleanliness end-to-end, from architecting and transforming raw data to self-service dashboarding to driving a Data Literacy program for business stakeholders. These projects add tremendous value to the business and we are looking for more thoughtful, driven, and curious people to push the business even further.About the right team member:
Perhaps you're a Data Analyst who's always gravitated towards infrastructure or automation tools. Perhaps you're a Data Engineer who thrives on finding the nexus of your SQL skills and business domain expertise. Perhaps you love the translation of business requirements into truly elegant tables and dashboard designs. In this role, you'll have an opportunity to drive impact on a large scale by delivering trusted, transformed data that all of Analytics and the company will use to power product and business decisions.At Betterment you will get to:
- Be a key curator of data. You will build and maintain the analytics layer of our team’s data environment to make data standardized and easily accessible
- Create product launch playbooks so that we not only stay on top - but also ahead - of rapidly changing data, new product launches, and partnerships
- Maintain and performance tune our Redshift cluster. Investigate and refactor any expensive queries
- Work closely with Product and Engineering to ensure upstream product model changes integrate well with our data model; and when it doesn’t build the necessary capabilities to adjust
- Craft analytics deliverables for stakeholders such as creating dashboards or conducting analysis
- Integrate and productionize analyst and data science models
- Improve the overall Analytics team’s workflow through knowledge sharing and ensuring we have proper documentation for our data and tools
- Experience writing SQL statements and transforming data.
- Experience implementing/scaling self-service tools (e.g. Business Intelligence) and are passionate about, scaling and automating analytics work.
- Experience building data pipelines and building data warehouses.
- Ability to take apart business problems, translate them into technical requirements, and translate back to non-technical audiences.
- Strong opinions about the ideal toolset to enable a high-functioning Analytics team.
- Autonomy, curiosity, and tenacity as a data issue detective.
- Been exposed to DBT, Looker, Airflow, Python, Hadoop/Hive, and/or DAGs.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $22 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 500,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.