Senior Analytics Engineer at Better.com
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
As a Senior Analytics Engineer, you will be contributing to core data pipelines and analysis tools at Better. You will empower 100+ data scientists and business analysts across the company to use data more effectively. You will also be responsible for helping grow the analysis platform team.
What you’ll work on:
- Manage and develop our BI tool strategy
- Expand our data warehouse with clean data, ready for analysis
- Define and implement our processes for maintaining high quality data and reporting
- Build upon and document our common data framework
- Advocate for improvements to data quality, security, and performance
- Design internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale data infrastructure
- Coach analysts on software engineering best practices (e.g., using version control, writing performant SQL, how to communicate data issues)
- Collaborate with data engineers on infrastructure projects and advocate for and emphasize the business value of applications
- Develop and communicate strong opinions about best practices in Analytics Engineering
Who you are:
- 3+ years experience in a data analytics, data science, or data engineering role
- An “end-to-end” data analyst who believes in owning the whole stack from data cleaning to dashboard to stakeholder communication
- Proficient in writing analytical SQL and you understand the difference between SQL that works, and performant SQL
- Experience working with Python and SQL to generate business insights and drive better organizational decision making (dbt preferred)
- The command line and git
- A solid understanding of data warehouses and business intelligence tools (Looker preferred)
- Clear and direct communication skills about complex technical topics
- Passion for building the best version of whatever you’re working on
- A track record of working autonomously, with strong organizational and time management skills
- Catching bugs and style issues in code reviews.
- A desire to continually keep up with advancements in data (engineering, analytics, science) team practices.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Better.com is committed to paying NYC HQ salary bands, for all employees, regardless of where they are located and does not adjust salaries based on cost of living location. Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- A $500 stipend to set up the WFH office of your dreams
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.