Senior Data Engineer - Diner dynamics Team at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for part-time work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly.We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 19+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 115,000 restaurants in 2,200 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
About The Job:
We are looking for senior data engineers to help us dramatically expand and improve the capabilities of our big data and machine learning pipeline powering the supply growth and market intelligence initiative. We have been focused on assembling a team of smart, humble people who are passionate about creating innovative, robust, automated solutions for our highly complex business problems on three-way marketplace. This is an unbeatable opportunity for developers who hope to work on and deliver world class data product in a friendly and fun environment.
The mission of the diner dynamics team at Grubhub is to provide various high quality datasets and insights, to monitor, support and boost market growth at both tactical and strategic levels. The team is responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining data pipelines powering multiple fundamental datasets used across business departments of Grubhub.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Work with data scientists and analysts to productionize and optimize machine learning models, so they can scale and accommodate various business requirements.
- Contribute innovative ideas to efficiently transform and mining geospatial and temporal data.
- Work with high volumes of data and distributed systems using technologies such as Spark, Hive AWS EMR, AWS S3, Azkaban, Presto and etc.
- Build auditing and monitoring tools for data pipelines and data job executions.
- Maintain up-to-date technical documentation while continuously deliver technical solutions and business impacts.
- Translate from technical to business, and vice versa. You need to be able to speak with the least technically-minded client (internal or external) and make technology make sense to them. Then turn around and do it the other way.
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development best practices, and new technologies.We are always improving the process of building software; we need you to help contribute
You Should Have
- 5+ years experience with Python or Scala programming languages
- 4+ years experience developing large data processing pipelines with Apache Spark.
- Excellent knowledge on SQL and data modelling
- Background in ETL and data processing, familiar with how to transform data to meet business goals
- Willingness to understand larger business context
- Growth mindset. Be passionate about continuous learning and knowledge sharing
- Familiarity with Agile software development methodologies
- Enthusiasm for a fast paced, tech and product oriented environment, and the desire to work with a great team!
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.