Senior Data Engineer, Media Science
New York, NY, US, 10012
Date: Jun 3, 2021
Req ID: 2917
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Senior Data Engineer, Media Science
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity. In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers. Come work on the hottest new streaming service, Discovery+, and on some of the most beloved global brands including HGTV, Food Network, Discovery, TLC and more.
OUR TEAM: Media Science
Media Science is at the core of Discovery’s internal Media Team managing the data and analytics for all owned & paid media globally. Data engineering, analysis, operations and data science expertise all sit within the team to streamline collaboration and create agility. We are an in-house data product team working with big data, including analytics, smart tv data and MMPs to measure billions of media impressions weekly. We continually work to enhance the data processing, code, methodologies and products deployed to drive dashboard reporting, multi-touch attribution, media mix models, incrementality, ROI reporting and real-time optimization… and we are just getting started. Our mission is to power our media arsenal driving expansion of the Discovery+ streaming service globally. Come join a team that is at the heart of media and data at Discovery.
THE ROLE: Senior Data Engineer
The Senior Data Engineer is a critical and highly technical role within Discovery’s Media Science team. Working with the Director of Data Engineering, the position will enable data from disparate sources and systems to be turned into cohesive, effective data products that support Discovery’s media efforts for global direct-to-consumer streaming products, TVE and concurrent tune-in efforts. The role will work to collaborate on and translate business KPIs and data science methodologies into an expanding code base that drives measurable business results balancing media efficiency and effectiveness.
The position requires a strong technical background in data extraction, processing and analysis. The candidate should have a strong background in data programming languages (SQL, Python, etc) and knowledge of statistical software (R, SAS, etc.) and have engineering know-how with an analyst curiosity. The candidate must be comfortable engaging and communicating with both business and technology stakeholders to successfully bridge the gap between business end-users and technical resources. The role will work with the media, product and data tech teams to ensure rigorous reporting and advanced analytics are a cornerstone of all media measurement.
- Responsible for furthering the development of media measurement capabilities for a global streaming business
- Be a technical lead for Media Science’s data environment to support the overall data architecture design, code base and peer review process.
- Partner in the building, testing and implementing of all data models.
- Develop a QA process for testing various calculations across dashboards and data toolsets to maximize reliability.
- Help codify business rules and apply those rules to datasets in order to drive dashboards, feeds, visualizations and other data products.
- Apply big data techniques to discover patterns in media exposures that can be leveraged to drive forecasting, subscriptions and revenue yield.
- Develop new data assets, code bases and methodologies, particularly to drive the direct-to-consumer global streaming businesses.
- Work with the overall Media Science team to deliver data products and provide business insights through quantitative analysis and predictive modeling.
- Document business logic in a way that is equally intelligible by both business and technical stakeholders.
- Expose data to relevant media, marketing and product stakeholders with the highest degree of efficiency, usability, reliability and accuracy.
- Query and perform ad hoc analysis across data sets to drive business optimization and inform strategy.
- Help identify new data toolsets to keep the Media Science team toolset best of breed.
- Build shared knowledge and data best practices to cross-reference for the team.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or similar is preferred.
- 4 plus years of experience working in a large-scale global data warehousing and analytics environment
- Advanced experience with data programming languages (e.g. SQL, Python, R) with focus on big data processing
- A strong understanding of cloud-based data warehousing solutions (AWS Big Data Tools a plus: S3, Redshift, Athena)
- Experience with source control system, ideally Github
- Strong understanding of big data and how a company can build data driven products
- Ability to manage through solving complex business problem
- Ability to collaborate with a variety of stakeholders to drive business requirements and outcomes
- Background in digital media, marketing or ad sales disciplines desired
- Machine learning experience is a nice to have
- Highly proficient mathematics, including probability
- Visualization experience (Tableau or other tools)
- Ability to prioritize tasks and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Ability to work autonomously, multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work in agile environments
- Ability to understand business problems, draw conclusions from data and offer solutions
- Extremely detail oriented and organized
- Self-starter, willing to get hands dirty and make it happen
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]