Senior Data Engineer - Scala/Spark at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 20+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 125,000 restaurants in 2,400 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo, AllMenus and MenuPages).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
The Big Data Senior Software Engineer will be responsible for building and improving the performance of our SEO Spark jobs. The SEO team scans through terabytes of data to identify and generate content that is optimized for search engines and users conversion. You will be responsible for owning these jobs and driving best practices across the development team.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Own core components of data ingestion and processing to extract and generate content optimized for search engines and users conversion.
- Design and implement new features to our SEO data generation processes to improve our SERP ranking and find new SERP opportunities.
- Collaborating with other engineering teams on SEO and SEM strategies.
- Work with big data and distributed systems using technologies such as Scala-Spark, AWS, EMR.
- Drive best practices and set high coding standard for our MapReduce jobs.
- Understand our stakeholder (Product and Marketing) requirements and write complex and efficient code to transform raw data into SEO relevant content.
- Doing deep dives on SEO metrics analysis becoming one of the foremost experts on that vertical in the company.
- Translate from technical to business, and vice versa. You need to be able to speak with the less technically-minded parties and then turn around and do it the other way.
You Should Have
- 5+ years professional software engineering skills
- 3+ years experience with Scala
- 2+ years experience with Spark designing terabyte-scale distributed architectures.
- Excellent knowledge on SQL, data modelling and patterns.
- Progressive experience in software engineering and design, writing performant code, optimizing performance, and test automation
- Passionate about learning and teaching. You love to constantly challenge yourself and empower others by sharing your knowledge
- Enthusiasm for the job. Are you excited about big data? Do you love writing high performance and scalable code? Good, the same goes for us
Got These? Even Better:
- Experience with SEO and SEM
- Experience with Amazon AWS or another cloud provider
And Of Course, Perks!
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information