Senior Data Engineer
Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the way the world shops online. We build tools, technologies and APIs that allow e-commerce merchants to integrate installment loan financing and other alternative payment products anywhere in their customers’ shopping journey. Bread was started in 2014 by financial technology veterans, and has experienced explosive growth to date. We’re backed by top investors including Menlo Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, Kinnevik, among others.
We are seeking a Senior Data Engineer who will help lead the evolution of our data infrastructure and data analytics capabilities. You will build high quality, architecturally-sound systems that will transform how we can take advantage of our data. This includes data infrastructure and pipelines to support analytics and product, as well as our data science team.
The ideal candidate will be able to take ownership of a variety of areas in our data stack and lead us forward. This is a chance to have a major impact on the direction of a company and be a part of building a lot of things from the ground up.
Your role at Bread:
- Design develop, and implement data infrastructure and pipelines that collect, connect, centralize, and curate data from various internal and external data sources.
- Create automation systems and tools to configure, monitor, and orchestrate our data infrastructure and our data pipelines.
- Evaluate new technologies for continuous improvements in Data Engineering.
- Collaborate closely with the product team to build out new data features.
- Work with the data scientists to implement descriptive, forecasting and predictive algorithms and models using latest technologies.
- Make technology decisions for our data infrastructure.
What we are looking for:
- Building and deploying large-scale data processing pipelines.
- Python, Scala or Java coding experience, proficiency with at least one of them is required.
- Workflow & pipeline systems, like Airflow, Luigi, etc.
- Distributed systems for data processing tools such as Spark.
- SQL and Relational Databases, like PostgreSQL.
- Data warehouse databases like Redshift and Snowflake.
- Strong data modeling skills, including data warehouse schema design.
- ETL or other data cleansing and normalization experience and tools like Stitch, Fivetran, etc..
- Self-driven, ownership mindset.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure like AWS or GCP.
- Experience with analytics platforms like Looker or Tableau nice to have.
Engineers at Bread also get the opportunity to participate in “20%” time through Working Groups! Working Groups are quarterly teams of 4 to 6 engineers who set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their core engineering team. Working Groups have included ones for Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, and Monitoring. Groups meet every Friday to plan and own their roadmap and implement their features. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups and over time potentially lead a group for that quarter. It's another opportunity as an engineer at Bread to have impact across the entire organization!