Senior Data Insights Engineer
Data Insights is an entrepreneurial group of engineers that join Flatiron product teams to facilitate the process of market fit discovery, rapid prototyping and iteration. We use engineering and data science tools to unlock the most value from our data. We talk with clients, work with oncology experts and code in Python, SQL, R or whatever it takes to advance our goal of dramatically accelerating cancer research and improving patient care. This mix of technical skills and client empathy allows us to accelerate our product development process and to take our products to the next level.
Data Insights is Flatiron’s forward deployed engineering team. We started out working on tools to enable healthcare providers to manage cancer centers and to treat patients, but we have since integrated into teams working in diverse areas of the company including partnering with Life Sciences companies and developing tools to help accelerate clinical research.
Due to rapid team growth, we are looking to hire Senior Data Insights Engineers who can add thought leadership to the team and help move the needle on big, complex initiatives and new, greenfield projects. (Note that actual title/level is based on experience and interview performance.)
As a Senior Data Insights Engineer you will:
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills by solving difficult problems, leading by example, and helping to mentor and develop other Engineers on the team
- Rapidly iterate on products early in the development of product-market fit when there is a need for product, customer and technology skills in a single self-driving person
- Analyze and visualize oncology data for our clients in cancer clinics, academic institutions and life sciences companies
- Work through complex data pipelines using SQL and other data processing tools
- Develop knowledge of healthcare industry trends and data
Who you are:
- You have at least 5 years of industry experience in relevant roles such as data scientist, technical product manager, forward deployed engineer, or similar; and a track record of success driving forward large initiatives
- You have deep expertise in stats and analytics OR in applying product management frameworks to solve complex business problems
- You have worked in a collaborative development environment using git, SQL, and Python or R
- You are passionate about our mission to improve cancer care through data and technology
- You have the technical skill to query databases, and have strong intuition for how to model and clean data
- You are versatile and can easily pick up new programming languages
- You care more about fixing our customers’ problems and advancing cancer treatment than you do about dealing with the coolest / newest data processing techniques
- You are an effective communicator who can break down a complex data analysis and tell a compelling story to stakeholders ranging from clinical staff to engineers to sales
- You understand how to identify major pain points in a user’s workflow, build prototypes to address the challenges, gather feedback from the user, and rapidly iterate
- You have a Bachelor's degree in a technical subject, or equivalent experience (bonus points if you have an advanced degree)
Good to have (but we can teach you):
- Healthcare industry knowledge/context (especially oncology specific knowledge)
Want to learn more about the team? Check out this blog post by Carlos who started Data Insights at Flatiron.