Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by pioneering dynamic ownership and enabling women to rent, subscribe to and purchase secondhand clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. By creating a new model of dynamic ownership rooted in sustainability, RTR has made apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Team:
Data is core to our growing business and has been ingrained in the company's DNA since its founding. The Data Science team is the engine that powers our data-driven culture. We extract meaning from RTR’s many, rich customer interactions and partner with decision makers across the company to turn insights into actions. Our team of well-rounded data scientists manages data models, defines and analyzes performance metrics, builds reporting, runs A/B experiments, and develops statistical models.
About the Job:
We are looking for a Data Scientist on our Inventory Analytics team, to own and grow the company’s approach to inventory economics. In this role, you will own our financial attribution model, and develop new statistical approaches to inventory ROI and financial modeling exercises. You will tackle a broad range of problems, including predicting inventory survival rates, optimizing financial terms, and forecasting break-even scenarios, while navigating the complexities of RTR’s unique circular business model.
What You’ll Do:
- Own our SQL-based financial attribution model in DBT, and enable exploration and analysis using BI tools like Looker
- Provide financial performance data for executive, board, and external investor audiences in collaboration with your partners on the Finance team
- Develop statistical / ML models in Python, and perform quantitative analysis to predict inventory survival rates, optimize financial terms, and forecast break-even scenarios
- Work closely with senior members of the Finance org to develop inventory acquisition strategies that are financially healthy, and support long-range operating plans
- You have a strong quantitative and/or technical academic background, such as Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, Finance, or Physics (masters is a plus)
- You have 5+ years experience in an analytics and/or data science role (financial modeling is a plus)
- You have a passion for data and its ability to inform, and transform, business strategy
- You have a proven track record of high performance and substantial achievement in an autonomous and cross-functional role
- You are a SQL expert who speaks the language of joins, window functions, common table expressions, and stored procedures
- You have experience building models (classification, regression, clustering) in Python/R
- You are excited by a challenge; complexity doesn’t scare you, and you love diving into the details
- You have an owner’s mindset and an innate curiosity. No job is too big or too small!
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT:
RTR is requiring all US corporate employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to work in person, unless an employee requires a reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you believe that you may require an accommodation, please apply for any roles that interest you and if hired, you will receive information on how to request a reasonable accommodation after your start date. RTR will evaluate all such requests in accordance with Company policy and applicable law.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.