We're looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our Data Insights team and help us accomplish our mission of improving lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What you will do
Data Insights is a diverse and talented team with strong expertise in discovering, prototyping and launching new data products. As a Senior Data Scientist on this team, you will define data strategy, drive technical execution, and help us create the next generation of our real-world evidence data products.
You will be embedded on a newly formed team within our Real World Evidence business line. This team is focused on developing a new set of large-scale, ML-enabled research data products. Along with working to build these data products, you will be collaborating with a group of data scientists, statisticians, and academics to create the long term scientific vision for how ML can accelerate Real World Evidence research. This may involve developing and validating novel statistical techniques for using ML-enabled research data in scientific inquiry, as well as developing new classes of ML models. In addition, you’ll also:
- Immerse yourself in the technical and clinical contexts that inform how health information is documented at the point of care
- Interface with external life science partners to understand what data they need to conduct high quality research
- Apply a wide range of data science, machine learning, and natural language processing techniques to develop new approaches to turn raw clinical data into high quality research variables
- Rapidly iterate on early stage products where a hybrid skill set of product intuition, customer empathy and technical expertise is essential
Ultimately, your work will empower our Life Science customers and academic partners to do higher quality research with real-world data.
Who You Are
You have an advanced degree in a quantitative field and are an entrepreneurial, customer-focused data scientist, experienced in driving new data capabilities. You are excited by the prospect of tackling meaningful problems each and every day. You are a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make a real impact on people’s lives. In addition:
- You have 2+ years graduate research experience in ML.
- You have experience in a broad spectrum of techniques from data science and machine learning and are excited to apply them to solve complex clinical or business problems
- You have worked with open source data science tools and languages (R/Python)
- You are value-oriented and practical in how you apply data to problems, and are excited to translate new research innovations into products and see them come to life outside of a publication
- You have worked in a scientific research environment, and are comfortable with evaluating statistical evidence, the academic publishing process, collaborating with scientific stakeholders (e.g. biostatisticians, research oncologists)
- You exemplify Flatiron values and are eager to be a cultural champion for them: you are vocally self-critical, willing to sit on the floor, and focused on solving problems that matter
- Your graduate research experience is related to natural language processing or healthcare
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
At Flatiron, we strive to build and maintain an environment where employees from all backgrounds are valued, respected and have the opportunity to succeed. You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Professional development benefit for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Back-up child care
- Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) that encourage our employees to share their unique experiences and perspectives
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.