At HUMAN, we know who’s real. We are the global leader in bot mitigation. Founded in 2012 in a Brooklyn sci-fi bookstore we’ve grown to protect more than 200 enterprises—including the largest internet platforms—from bot attacks by verifying the humanity of over a trillion (that’s 12 zeroes!) online interactions every day. State-of-the-art bots look and act like humans when they click on ads, visit websites, fill out forms, take over accounts, and commit payment fraud. We stop them.
We hope you’ll want to join our mission to stop bots, disrupt the economics of cyber crime, and keep it human.
The Detection team at HUMAN is the beating heart of our company - finding and stopping bots. We're a group of data professionals and security experts who build the algorithms that run behind the scenes analysing and decisioning on our vast number of daily events. We deploy advanced statistical and machine learning models that need to be flexible for different deployment scenarios and robust to a fraudster’s favourite tactics: evasion and deception.
Countering bot fraud is not a situation where all the interesting data science problems have already been solved. Every week there are brand new challenges that require novel approaches. - Austin L, Senior Data Scientist, MediaGuard
The human we need for this role will work on MediaGuard: our product for advertising platforms. MediaGuard provides real-time insight for ad-tech customers on which advertising opportunities are fraudulent bot-driven events.
What you'll do: Responsibilities
- Write ‘bot markers’ which consistently find fraud today, and work with other senior members of the team to develop flexible frameworks that can find the fraud of tomorrow.
- Become a domain expert in ad-tech and ad-serving, allowing you to develop the best strategies for marker development.
- Work with engineering managers to scope team OKRs and then deliver your own on time and on-spec.
- Be an active participant in team responsibilities, including reviewing other data scientist’s work prior to launching new detection rules/algorithms, our ‘sheriffing’ process where we proactively monitor anomalies arising in our systems and taking part in ‘tech-debt days’ to keep our codebase clean and healthy.
- Collaborate with our product / commercial team to design new data-intensive product features that will delight our customers.
- Take a prominent role in building data-science toolsets that empower the whole team, especially more junior team members.
Who you are: Background and Skillset
- You’ve consistently delivered algorithmic software projects that demonstrably solved a business problem well. This means you can explain the nuances of different modelling approaches and make informed decisions on which to use for a given goal, whilst also having the engineering awareness of the realities of shipping working code to customers.
- We don’t ask for specific prior domain experience. However, ad-tech work requires learning the intricacies of an infamously complex digital supply chain and cybersecurity work requires a savvy awareness of how bad actors operate. Be prepared to tell us why you think your experience sets you up well.
- You are proficient with Python and SQL and familiar with related tools, libraries and platforms (e.g. Jupyter, Pandas, NumPy etc).Build analysis toolkits and platforms that empower our whole team to work more effectively.
- You’ve demonstrated that you’re self-driven by learning the skills you need to solve problems you’ve tackled in previous roles. You almost certainly don’t have all the skills to thwart all the bots right now, so an appetite for growth is key.
Our culture and benefits: Helping you do the best work of your life
Alongside the feel-good factor of knowing your work each day counters cyber-crime, we designed our cultural norms and work benefits to bring out your best. We strongly value deep work, so we practice company-wide Zoom-free Fridays . This provides a handy backdrop for a related initiative: ‘R&D Research Friday’: half a day each week isolated from day-to-day work for all our people to focus on trying new ideas, personal learning and career development. It’s backed financially too by a generous Learning & Development stipend.
HUMAN's company-wide "no meeting Fridays" is like a breathe of fresh air after other jobs with the constant context switching of meetings interrupting one's flow. - Adrian W, Principal Data Engineer.
At HUMAN we’re fully committed to flexible working arrangements and making remote work...work. But what does this mean in practice? It means we supply you with a company Macbook Pro and generous home-office stipend, we pay for your mobile and internet bills and we recreate that shared-office-lunching vibe with expensable lunch delivery on Wednesdays. At our major hubs we also have physical spaces too, so you can get that in-person experience when it makes sense for you and your team-mates.