Senior Data Scientist - Places at Foursquare (Greater NYC Area, NY)
Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands.
Foursquare’s flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact and drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest and real-world behavior patterns (Places and Visits), and tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification and visualization (Unfolded Studio).
About the role:
As a member of Foursquare’s Places data science team, you’ll be responsible for supporting statistical inference, big data analytics, and supervised/unsupervised model building. The methodologies we employ are varied which creates a rich environment for the application of data science technology. This is not just a machine learning job. We look for data scientists who are excited by the challenge of solving problems using a wide array of modeling and quantitative techniques. This can involve product feature prototyping, new metric development, and exploratory data analysis. Data scientists at Foursquare are also highly collaborative, working largely with Product and Engineering stakeholders to deploy machine learning models and analytics processes at scale in production.
Responsibilities of the role
- Build supervised/unsupervised machine learning models and support feature engineering
- Build statistical inference and big data analytics
- Implement and deploy machine learning models and data analytics into productions using Scala and Python
- Implement and orchestrate data pipelines using technologies like Spark, Airflow, Kubernetes, and Docker
- Conduct ad-hoc data investigation and data-driven approaches for insights extraction
- Work with product team and core clients to scope requirements and communicate project status
- Proactively Identify and implement product and process changes to make the platform more efficient and accurate
- Strong problem solving and data-driven decision making skills
- Advanced degree (MS, Ph.D) in quantitative field of study (computer science, applied mathematics, statistics, etc.)
- 4+ years of work experience in quantitative roles
- 4+ years of work or educational experience in machine learning
- Proficiency in at least one object-oriented programming language (Python, Scala, Java, C, etc.)
- Proven record of hand-on work on ML pipelines, model training, feature engineering, evaluation
- Proven problem solver, with a track record of successfully uncovering data insights that lead to positive business impact
- Proven track record of delivering on products and/or practical research endeavors
- Highly relevant fields: Classification/clustering models (decision trees, neural networks, support vector machines); Feature engineering / Feature selection; Natural Language Processing; Data matching / Entity resolution; Deep Learning; Computer vision
- Highly relevant frameworks/libraries: Spark ML; Scikit-learn; Keras / PyTorch / TensorFlow / H2O / ONNX / NLTK
- Experience in bringing machine learning models to production, using tools like Airflow, Luigi, Kubernetes, Docker, etc.
Perks and benefits:
- Learning and development programs from individual contributors to managers
- Individual, professional coaching for all full-time employees
- Flexible time off - rest and recharge when you need it!
- Comprehensive and competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Home office setup: you get all necessary hardware and internet reimbursement
- Family planning programs via Carrot and Maven
- Employee Resource Groups to help you stay connected
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.