Senior Data Scientist (Sales & Restaurant Network)
What is Slice?
Slice is the leading technology and marketing platform made exclusively for local pizzerias, making it super easy to order delicious, authentic local pizza anywhere, anytime. We serve the $45 billion U.S. pizzeria market in two ways: by providing a pizza-centric mobile and web ordering experience for consumers, and by empowering local restaurants with the technology, tools, and marketing to grow their business, while helping them compete with Big Pizza. Can you imagine what a small mom and pop pizza shop could achieve with the resources of Domino’s?
Slice was born in 2010 and has quietly bootstrapped its way to building a network of more than 8,000 pizzerias nationwide. Ilir Sela, our founder and CEO, started the company as a passion project to help his friends and family in the pizza business, but he quickly saw a massive opportunity to champion these small businesses by bringing their bites to the masses. Ilir has since built an amazing team of operators, marketers, technologists, and investors — all dedicated to making it easier for people to enjoy their favorite local pizza. Did you see we were recently Apple’s App of the Day?
Yes, we have a pizza philosophy
We believe pizza is more than food — it's a slice of life. Across the country, pizza is made by people who care about craft, history, and culture. We created Slice to champion the small mom and pop pizzerias by connecting those proud makers with customers who are just as passionate about their pizza. We celebrate pizza as the ultimate shareable food that brings people together for more than just a bite. So whether you call it a pizza parlor, slice joint, or pizzeria, we're here to help you order authentic local pizza, connect to your community, and live your best slice life.
We’re growing our family every day — so, if you’ve got a passion for local, authentic pizza and the drive to help share it with the world, we’d love to have you on the team!
What You'll Do:
- Work in partnership with the restaurant network team to analyze business drivers for success and improve our restaurant network.
- Success for Slice means success for the pizzeria, this role has a strong business focus where you will use your data science skills to execute analytics projects hands on and also act as a partner and consultant to the business team, bringing conclusions, insights, and forward-looking analyses to the table.
- Self-sufficient in understanding business needs and working through concept, prototype, and final implementation
- Build and maintain lead scoring models from purchased lead data as well as alternative data sources (e.g. online search volume, census data, customer lat/long, etc.)
- Build and maintain models to identify pizzeria personas
- Build automated pipelines to keep Salesforce data clean and up to date
What we're looking for:
- BA or BS Degree (In lieu of degree, 9+ years of relevant work experience)
- 6+ years quantitative work experience
- Expert in SQL (Redshift experience preferred)
- Expert in Python
- Experience with a variety of APIs, scikit-learn, pandas, numpy
- Experience with geospatial analysis in Python (shapely, pyproj, Fiona, geojson)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with data visualizations (Looker a plus)
- In-depth knowledge of relational databases
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with Salesforce (and Python API – e.g. simple-salesforce)
What we offer:
- Competitive salaries and a 401(k) plan with an employer match. (because you’re worth it!).
- Full benefits package including medical, vision, and dental insurance to make staying healthy easy cheesy.
- Unlimited paid vacation (yep!). You’re an adult and life is busy. We trust you to get things done.
- $25 towards Slice every week, so you can throw your very own pizza parties (public or personal, we don’t judge).
- Flexible work arrangements, because a life/work balance is important and this is the 21st century. Work how you work best!
- Discounted gym memberships, so you can work up a sweat in between pizza snacking.
- Weekly happy hours which are great for mingling with the Slice family or brushing up on your mixology.
- Weekly catered pizza lunches! Come on, you knew there was going to be pizza. But did you know it was gonna be weekly?
- Fully stocked kitchen featuring a plethora of snacks, coffees, teas, treats, (and likely leftover pizza) — a true bounty of delights.
- Quarterly company outings and events. Dress fancy and celebrate your successes with pinkies up! (And pizza. There will be pizza.)
- Great office space located in the Flatiron District of NYC, steps away from Union Square and most train lines.
Slice is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.