Senior Data Scientist, Schools at Teachers Pay Teachers
What do we do?
At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we're unlocking the power of educator-created content. TpT gives educators access to a trusted, one-of-a-kind community. We are the world's first marketplace of our kind and founded by a teacher, for teachers as the go-to platform for teacher-created content for nearly 15 years. We are currently serving more than 7.5 million users and more than 85% of U.S. teachers. TpT is focused on building the next generation of e-learning experiences for millions of students and teachers across the world. If you haven't heard of TpT yet and want to learn more, just ask any teacher.
As a Senior Data Scientist you will be responsible for finding valuable insights related to our new and rapidly growing TpT School Access subscription product. You will work with product managers, business managers, data analysts, and data engineers across Engineering, Product, Sales and Marketing, and you’ll use research techniques such as data visualization, statistical modeling, and machine learning to explore data, test hypotheses, identify underlying causes and patterns, and find the best ways to turn these insights into better decisions and product improvements.
You should be deeply curious, comfortable solving unstructured problems with large datasets, and excited to learn and grow your skills and domain knowledge.
- Help the company understand user behavior and in turn improve our product. You’ll use the tools of data science, from exploratory data analysis, through statistical and predictive modeling, to data visualization and presentation.
- Be a creative, critical thinker and a key member of our product teams. You’ll synthesize your quantitative results with deep domain knowledge and work with others to guide strategic and day-to-day decisions.
- Develop insightful predictive models to improve internal decision-making, and prototype predictive models that could be incorporated into our products.
- Perform research in a product and business-driven, fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Work within our analytics technical stack, including R, BigQuery, Heap, GitHub, LaunchDarkly, and Looker.
- Mentor teammates and teach what you’ve learned.
Qualities for a successful candidate
- A track record of value-creation in previous organizations, using data science techniques to model and explain user behavior on web sites and/or B2B purchasing behavior.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL and R (or Python) for data science, including reproducible research tools and processes, data exploration and visualization, and statistical modeling.
- Statistical and mathematical depth equivalent to a Masters in Applied Statistics, either from a degree program or experience, including advanced regression and probabilistic modeling.
- Able to choose machine learning models, train and tune them with good practices, extract insights, and suggest opportunities to productionize them.
- Outstanding communications skills, including the ability to speak clearly to technical and nontechnical audiences, present insights to groups, and write clearly.
- Able to keep complex projects on track and focused on value-creation.
- At least three years of insights-focused data science experience in industry (less if you have a PhD in a related field).
- Parental leave for both mothers and fathers to be able to take some quality time in bonding with their new addition to their family
- Comprehensive Medical & Dental Benefits
- Mother’s Room
- Quiet Room
- Company Events (Bring Your Child to Work Day, Field Day, Camp TpT, Hackathons etc.)
Here at TpT we value Diversity & Inclusion and encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work. We cultivate an environment where people are recognized and celebrated for their individuality.
Any TpT applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the interview process can contact the TpT People Ops Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Finally, if you’re a California resident, California law requires that we provide you notice about the collection and use of your personal information. We encourage you to read it carefully. You can find our full notice here.