Senior Data Scientist
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer, making it easy to launch and manage web infrastructure. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
Our Business Operations unit interfaces with the rest of DigitalOcean to ensure our ability to execute on our product vision and support our growing customer base in a data-driven and efficient manner. As a Senior Data Scientist, you will join a growing Data & Analytics team that partners with decision-makers across the organization to catalyze business growth by providing robust and relevant analysis, insights and data products. The D&A team is hands-on with a wide variety of datasets, including user data, product behavior data, financial/payment data, upper-funnel marketing data, trust and safety data, and operational/infrastructure data.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Develop predictive models on large-scale datasets to address a wide range of business problems
- Take end-to-end ownership on the implementation of scalable and efficient modeling algorithms that function reliably within large-scale production systems
- Work closely with our Manager of Data Science & Engineering as well as team leads across the company to identify and execute on a wide range of opportunities for advanced data modeling and analysis, leveraging advanced statistical modeling, machine learning, or data mining techniques
Some example projects include:
- Customer-centric problems such as churn, segmentation, product recommendation
- Fraud and anomaly detection
- Detection and prediction of various back-end events (e.g. hardware failure)
- Time-series forecasting of complex user demand patterns for capacity planning
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, or other quantitative field; Masters or PhD strongly preferred
- 5+ years experience in data science or quantitative analytics role, preferably in a high-growth company
- Comprehensive understanding of statistical modeling, machine learning and data mining concepts, and experience applying these methods within a business environment
- Strong knowledge of Python. Familiarity with at least one statistical modeling / machine learning tool such as R or Matlab is a plus, as well as experience with languages such as Scala or Go
- Expert knowledge of, and hands-on experience with SQL
- Demonstrable critical thinking and analytical skills, including the ability and confidence to make conclusions and recommendations from data
- Experience interacting with key stakeholders in different fields, interpreting challenges and opportunities into actionable data-driven analysis and implementing science-driven data products
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Data & Analytics