Transfix, named one of Forbes' "Next Billion-Dollar Startups" in 2018, is the leading freight marketplace that's transforming the $800 billion trucking industry, connecting shippers to a national network of reliable carriers. Fortune 500 companies such as Anheuser-Busch, Unilever, and Target rely on Transfix to handle their most important FTL freight needs. With instant pricing tools, guaranteed capacity, data-driven insights, and reliable service, Transfix is changing the world of transportation one load at a time. Join us, and leave a positive impact on the environment as we help reduce the carbon footprint caused by the 65 billion wasted miles on the road.
Based in New York City, Transfix is backed by top VC firms including New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Canvas Ventures, and Lerer Hippeau.
The problems we solve everyday are real and require creativity, grit, and determination. We are building a culture that challenges norms while fostering experimentation and personal growth. We're hiring team members who are passionate and are energized by the vision to simplify and transform one of the largest and most complex industries through technology, data and a strong commitment to customers.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will implement machine learning models into critical business processes, forecast industry trends, and build data pipelines. The Data Science team works closely with engineers, pricing analysts, and the business intelligence team to complement qualitative knowledge of the freight industry with rigor and quantitative insights. You will be expected to autonomously run your own projects, drive business impact, and be a domain expert for teams across the company.
Our model development leverages a combination of internal pricing data and external data providers and we make use of both statistical models (e.g. SARIMAX, GLM, and logistic regression) and machine learning models (e.g. GBM, RandomForest, XGBoost). Our stack consists of Python, Pandas, sci-kit learn, statsmodels, and Prophet. We run within AWS and utilize tools like SageMaker, Looker, and SnowflakeDB.
If you’re excited about transforming an industry, being part of an innovative culture, and making a positive impact on the environment, send us your resume.
What you'll do:
- Develop and implement pricing strategies into our automated bidding processes
- Build forecasting models for freight market pricing changes using industry indicators
- Iteratively develop and ship models integrated with production-facing services in collaboration with our Product and Engineering teams.
- Collaborate with our Sales, Operations, Product, and Engineering teams to provide analytic and machine learning support
- Execute long-term modeling initiatives
- Drive selection and adoption of innovative technologies, tools, and processes.
- Act as a mentor within the Data Science team
- Help drive strategic data-driven analyses, insights, and report on KPIs
- Partner with Data Engineering for system design and infrastructure
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in a STEM or quantitative field
- You love data and have at least 5+ years experience with conducting in-depth data analyses, building and deploying performant machine learning models, and presenting results to business stakeholders
- You have a solid grasp on both theory and application, and you know how to balance methodological purity with practical implementation
- You are fluent with programming languages (Python, R), query languages for RDBMS and NoSQL (SQL, JSON), and object-oriented design
- You are comfortable working in high-paced, impact-driven environments
- Price optimization, financial forecasting, and spatial analysis is a plus
To all recruitment agencies: Transfix does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be held responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.