As a Principal, Data Science, you’ll utilize advanced quantitative and statistical analysis techniques to drive business model innovation for Via, work closely with our senior management to help drive decisions, and lead, mentor, and train data scientists and analysts in the art of leveraging data.
What You'll Do
- Adeptly interpret and utilize mass quantities of data to generate innovative hypotheses & insights
- Quantitatively test hypotheses about rider and driver behavior using large sets of proprietary data; leverage results to improve business metrics at every touch point
- Design and implement novel experiments to better understand and improve current operation as well as expansion to new markets
- Build optimization models that leverage predictions and insights to improve operational efficiency in different aspects of the business
- Train and mentor data analysis and scientists, assist in their professional growth and develop the analytic ecosystem in teams across the company
Who You Are
- 4+ years of industry experience with predictive modeling and statistical analysis techniques in a business environment
- Obsessed with data; analytical and rigorous, with a thorough understanding of statistics and machine learning at both a practical and theoretical level
- Extraordinary communicator with demonstrated writing, editing, presentation and visualization skills. You understand the importance of graphic techniques in communicating a quantitative idea effectively
- A PhD in statistics, machine learning, physics, math, systems biology, or highly quantitative fields in social sciences), including 2+ years of graduate-level research experience (or the equivalent)
- Mastery in some or all of the following: SQL, Python, R.
- Attention to detail is critical. Please mention that soup of the day is mushroom barley in the cover letter
What Catches Our Eye
- Experience leading a team
- Experience in experiment design and interpretation
- Experience with different optimization methods
- Transportation relevant experience and research would be a plus (but it not a must)
We’re Via, and we build technology that changes the way the world moves. We pioneered the TransitTech category to ensure that the future of transportation is shared, dynamic public mobility — the kind that reduces carbon emissions across congested cities, minimizes reliance on private cars, and provides everyone with accessible, efficient, and affordable ways of getting around.
Via was founded with the guiding principle that we go further when we go together. We’re committed to building and nurturing a team as diverse as the communities we serve. Bringing transportation equity to the world begins with championing equal opportunity in our own offices. All backgrounds, identities, and voices are welcomed and celebrated here.
We’re proud to be leading a worldwide transportation revolution and modernizing mobility for all. Through intelligently-designed systems and sophisticated algorithms, we craft localized solutions for each one of our global partners. Ready to join the ride?
Via is an equal opportunity employer.