Senior Data Scientist at Alloy
We’re the leading provider of digital identity management and support innovative FinTech companies, and top tier banks to manage KYC, AML, and other components of client onboarding. Alloy’s single API enables its clients to access over 50 third party data sources in real-time to improve decision-making and streamline client experiences. We're backed by venture capital firms that have taken countless companies to IPO like Bessemer Venture Partners, Primary Venture Partners, Eniac Ventures, and others and well positioned to bring on incredibly talented individuals to help take us to the next level!Why we’re hiring
Alloy (alloy.co) is building the operating system for risk and identity that powers fintechs and forward-looking banks. We help our clients quickly make the most important decisions - in particular whether to open accounts or approve transactions - while minimizing risks like fraud and money laundering and satisfying "Know Your Customer" regulations. Alloy recently closed our Series A lead by Bessemer Venture Partners (read their case for Alloy here: https://www.bvp.com/news/bessemer-series-a-investment-alloy), was named one of Forbes Cloud 100 Rising Stars 2019, and is growing like crazy. We're looking to add a Senior Data Scientist to our data team to lead modeling efforts around risk and fraud.
Data is at the center of our product and mission at Alloy - we are part of the core Product and Engineering group, and our work directly contributes to the product's decision support capabilities around fraud and risk. You’ll work with a modern tech and data science stack - Postgres, Python (pandas, scikit-learn, jupyter), R, AWS on the data team - alongside friendly coworkers that collaboration, flexible work arrangements, working reproducibly, testing, and software craftsmanship. You’ll be a valued member of a friendly and experienced engineering team, working closely with backend and frontend engineers. Our data team's culture values curiosity, learning, connecting data to Alloy's strategy, open source tools, rigor, and a spirit of relentless resourcefulness.
If you are analytical, good at taking on big, complex questions, and like the pace and career growth opportunities afforded by working at a fast-growing early stage startup, then we'd like to meet you! Come join an exciting startup company in the FinTech space named one of Forbes Cloud 100 Rising Stars 2019: 20 Up-And-Comers!What you’ll be doing
As the Senior Data Scientist at Alloy, you'll:
- Take ownership of our modeling efforts and how modeling happens at Alloy, including how we build, train, deploy and monitor models that help us distinguish 'good' applications from fraud
- Ensure that live production models are served with high uptime/reliability and extremely low latency (<150 ms)
- Articulate a feature engineering strategy for extracting signal from varied inputs and partner with our data engineering team to build a reliable pipeline to generate, store and use new features in production.
- Expand the range of outcomes that we model, expanding beyond basic two-category classification to more robust models that identify particular fraud modalities
- Deploy time-series models that score streams of transaction data and integrate with our onboarding models to provide a real-time view of risk
- Hire junior data scientists and build out the data science vertical inside the data team
On a given day, this work might entail:
- Analyzing closure data to improve the performance of a fraud model
- Applying ML interpretability techniques to help explain and present the most salient features to a particular prediction made by a fraud model
- Working with our data engineering team to propose upstream changes in how cleaned training data is made available for modeling
- Working with our product team to update the roadmap for the future and vision of our custom modeling product and prioritize what we'll ship in the next quarter
- Working with our customer analysis team to add more ML insights to our replicable client analyses
Reporting to the Head of Data Science, the Senior Data Scientist will likely have:
- A blend of ML/statistics experience and prior experience working on or with software teams to deploy ML models in production
- Our production code is largely Python so familiarity with the Python data science stack is a must, but candidates whose primary experience is in R / Scala / Julia should not hesitate to apply
- We particularly value candidates with strong pure math/physics backgrounds who are interested in applied problems
- Prior experience in financial services (especially credit modeling) is a strong plus, but not a requirement
- The seniority level for this position is mid-to-senior, and as such, successful applicants will have two+ years professional experience as a data scientist or similar role
Beyond the technical requirements for the role, we are looking for candidates who are curious, humble, quick learners, and strong communicators. Having strong organizational and prioritization skills will help you navigate the changes in company structure, product strategy and mix of job responsibilities that are inherent to a growing startup.
We are a lean team, so your impact will be felt immediately. If this all sounds like a good fit for you, why not join us?How to Apply
Apply right here! You've found the application!
Alloy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer. We’re committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.