We are seeking a Senior Data Scientist to work on the Hinge recommender. Being in the online dating space, our recommender induces at once a social network and a two-sided marketplace, making it a tremendously complex and stimulating problem space. From assessing opportunities through analytical techniques to curating personalized recommendations with machine learning and other algorithms, your job will be to continuously take this engine apart and put it back together. In turn, your work will deeply influence how millions of Hinge members discover meaningful connections on the app.
- Collaborate with the recommender Product lead to establish objectives and metrics
- Iterate on recommender algorithms, which include but are not limited to machine learning techniques
- Work with engineers to implement algorithms; depending on interests and needs, you may be implementing some components directly
- Develop framework and mechanisms to detect recommender anomalies and assess the impact thereof
- Collaborate with User Research to audit the recommender for bias and develop bias mitigation strategies
- Provide thought leadership on interactions between the recommender and other projects at Hinge
- 4+ years of experience as data scientist
- Strong knowledge of machine learning--especially in recommender systems--and statistics
- Experience with product analytics
- Proficiency in Python and SQL
- Superb problem solving and communication skills
- Deep sense of intellectual curiosity
- Openness to different perspectives on problems and solutions
- Preferred: Graduate degree in a quantitative field
- Preferred: Experience in writing production code
- Preferred: Knowledge of Spark
Hinge is the dating app for people who want to get off dating apps. In today’s digital world, singles are so busy matching that they’re not actually connecting, in person, where it counts. Hinge is on a mission to change that. So we built an app that’s designed to be deleted. On Hinge, there are no rules, timers, or games. Instead, you’ll meet your most compatible matches and you’ll have unique conversations over what you’ve shared on your detailed profile. It’s a natural way to find a great first date. Currently, 3 out of 4 first dates lead to second dates, we’re the #1 mobile-first dating app mentioned in the New York Times wedding section, and we’re the fastest growing dating app in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia.
- Authenticity: Share your genuine thoughts and opinions directly.
- Courage: Invite and deeply consider challenges and criticism.
- Empathy: Be empathetic, communitarian and trustworthy.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description