Senior Database Reliability Engineer
Join the Site Reliability Engineering team at one of the fastest growing tech startups in NYC!
At Namely, we are self-starters and problem solvers, obsessed with creating the best experience for our clients. We are a team of smart and self-motivated engineers who are eager to learn, grow and collaborate with each other. Each person is the owner of their work and directly impacts the success of our products and company.
Namely’s mission is to help mid-sized companies build a better workplace. We are transforming HR, payroll and benefits into a platform and experience HR professionals and employees love to use. People are at the center of everything we do, and we believe every company and employee deserves a great workplace, supported by innovative HR technology.
SRE’s job is to keep the platform that our 1,100 customers use running smoothly and efficiently. We build powerful automation that impacts everything from development and testing through to production deployment, scaling, monitoring, and alerting. Put another way, we eliminate work through automation. We have fun leveraging cutting edge technologies such as Terraform, Kubernetes, Docker, Istio, Jenkins, and Spinnaker.
The Database Reliability Engineer loves working with databases and data. You impact every team at Namely through traditional DBA activities and also through building automation that makes it easier to create, maintain and operate our databases. You build tools and automation that provide safe self-service capabilities to your SRE team (so they can help you out) and to product engineering teams, integrating into their CI/CD workflows. You ensure quality and best-practices in database architecture, design, provisioning, resiliency, performance analysis and tuning, monitoring, alerting, database security and governance.
- Own our database systems and meet critical quality, availability, performance and reliability goals.
- Design and build the tools, frameworks, systems and processes related to operation of our databases and integration with Site Reliability capabilities.
- Automate tasks across the full CI/CD lifecycle to create an efficient developer experience and reduce manual toil.
- Scale solutions from proofs-of-concept to full production systems.
- Collaborate effectively with and mentor other engineers on the SRE team and in the larger engineering org.
- Promote and implement best practices in observability (monitoring, tracing, alerting, logging) and incident response.
- Participate in an on-call rotation to mitigate site disruption.
- Minimize risk of reliability-related failure outcomes, as pertaining to durability, availability, performance, and correctness.
- 5+ years in DRE and/or DBA roles, with a focus on tooling, automation and database systems operation.
- 7+ years overall software industry experience.
- A desire to stay on the cutting edge of database, infrastructure and automation technologies.
- Strong DBA experience with one or more of MSSQL, Postgres, AWS RDS.
- Production experience with AWS and Linux environments.
- Good software development skills in Go, Python, Windows/Powershell or similar languages for scripting and automation.
- Experience with configuration management tools like Puppet, Chef, or Ansible.
- Implementation of security best practices
- Ability to troubleshoot database performance issues in a production environment
Namely was founded in 2012 to create an HR platform as intuitive as social media, but powerful enough to support the complexity of today’s workforce. Our belief is that great companies are built on a great employee experience, which is why we created the first HR platform employees love to use. In fact, unlike most traditional HR software, 78% of our clients’ employees log in to Namely at least once per month! Namely is backed by some amazing VCs including Sequoia, and serves companies in just about every industry and state nationwide. We love mid-sized companies because they’re mission-driven, client-obsessed, and care deeply about their employees... just like us. We believe in giving you the tools you need to do the best work of your career, and we’re just getting started.
We invite you to fill out the EEO survey below as part of our ongoing diversity initiatives at Namely. Your participation in the survey is completely optional and voluntary, and none of the information you provide will be considered in the hiring process or with respect to any employment decision made by Namely. Namely will have access only to anonymized data submitted through these surveys.