Senior Director, Market Research and Insights at The Trade Desk
The Trade Desk is changing the way global brands and their agencies advertise to audiences around the world. How? With a media-buying platform that helps brands deliver a more insightful and relevant ad experience for consumers — and sets a new standard for global reach, accuracy, and transparency.
So if you’re talented, driven, creative, and hungry to bring something entirely new and wildly ambitious into the world (and have some fun doing it), then we want to talk.WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Can you build a world-class market research and insights function whose work directly influences the trajectory of a business every day? Are you passionate about representing the voice of the customer and understanding trends in our industry, our platform and our brand? Finding insights from data, turning insights into actionable recommendations, stories and best practices to enable our marketing, sales and client activation efforts should be your calling.
You will establish a global market research and insights team to develop and implement a strategic and tactical research and insights agenda. The objective is to develop a center of excellence using primary and secondary research and insights to inform our marketing and commercial strategy by enabling data-driven decisions and communication. Reporting into the VP, Marketing, you will also be responsible for establishing and advancing our approach to brand tracking, voice of the customer, and NPS globally. You will collaborate regularly with the Global Marketing, PR/Comms, Content Development, Commercial Activation and Business Intelligence leaders.
- Establish and implement a holistic and consistent global market research and insights center of excellence prioritizing strategic and tactical projects to achieve business objectives.
- Create and manage the market research and insights agenda informed and aligned with key stakeholders that enables the business to remain focused on the most important issues and topics.
- Gather, assimilate, analyze, and present timely, relevant research and insights for customer, advertising industry, The Trade Desk platform and vertical trends to a wide variety of stakeholders inclusive of commercial activation, product marketing, PR/comms and content development.
- Conduct global brand tracking, NPS, audience segmentation, and persona research to understand marketing investment impact and inform strategies.
- Conceive, lead, and conduct qualitative and quantitative research studies identifying and managing key external partners to work with.
- Create clear and compelling market research storylines that are strategically sound and emotionally provocative.
- Develop a deep understanding of the advertising industry including, trends, media mix shifts, best practices, competitors, etc., and develop frameworks to synthesize this understanding into insights for the business.
- Develop and support your team (presently one direct report) execution and delivery on all aspects of research and analysis, including both qualitative and quantitative methods, with a strong emphasis on delivering insights/results with impact.
- Assess and prioritize strategic and tactical research and insights needs.
- Design, partner and execute a global Brand study and tracking globally.
- Partner with PMM, editorial and comms team to establish research and insights priorities.
- Partner with commercial activation to understand existing and future insights needs.
- Develop business case for research and insights investments.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Behavioral Economics, Market Research, Psychology, Social Science, or related field (bonus for a Master’s).
- 10+ years relevant experience within in the AdTech, broader digital media industry, television or streaming industry, a SaaS platform or media consultancy.
- You have 5+ years managing research and insights teams and are willing/comfortable to roll-up your sleeves and do it yourself as well. Bonus points if you have built a team from scratch.
- A compassionate leader who inspires and develops the people around them. You lead by example, set high standards and develop people to achieve things that they didn’t think were otherwise possible.
- Deep understanding, and experience with, leading-edge quantitative and qualitative research methodologies and technologies to deliver customer and market research and insights quickly!
- Demonstrated passion for the digital media and AdTech industry with a strong commitment to continual learning. Knowledge of AdTech ecosystem and/or programmatic industry strongly preferred; comfort with online advertising audiences and trends.
- Knowledge and experience with the following research and data sources: Kantar, Nielsen, MediaLink, Advertiser Perceptions, Pathmatics, Forrester, eMarketer, Enders, and others.
- Strong relationship management skills; previous experience in a role where you’ve successfully built consensus cross-functionally and amongst both leadership and your peers. Team player who leads discussions; organically shares best practices and knowledge with others.
- Incredible written and verbal communications skills. Presenting insights and analytical findings to technical and non-technical audiences; distilling complex research concepts/techniques into simple, relevant meaning for internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter, ambitious, and scrappy; deals well with ambiguity and takes initiative and ownership to get the job done despite competing priorities and challenges along the way.
- Meticulous attention to detail and able to produce deliverables on-time at a very high bar.
- Oh yeah, this should probably go without saying, but you have excellent PowerPoint, Excel, and written and visual communication skills.
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without an agreement in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.