Senior Engineering Manager (Machine learning) at Rokt
Rokt makes e-commerce smarter, faster, and better. When customers are buying online, they increasingly expect more personalized and relevant experiences. Rokt uses real-time data and decisioning to deliver the next best action for each person in each Transaction Moment™. Founded in Sydney in 2012, Rokt now operates in the US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, The Netherlands, Spain and Japan. Our clients include Live Nation, Staples, Groupon, GoDaddy, Expedia, Wells Fargo, Vistaprint and HelloFresh. Rokt unlocks the hidden potential in every single Transaction Moment™.
With an annual revenue run rate of USD$150m+ and a vibrant company culture, Rokt was recently listed in Built In NYC's ‘Best Places to Work’ in New York. Our award-winning culture is guided by our four core values: Smart with Humility, Customer Obsessed, Conquer New Frontiers, and Enjoy the Ride. These values help us recruit, retain, and promote the right talent around the globe and ensure we have the right conditions to do our best work. Rokt closed our Series C in 2019, raising US$48m from TDM Growth Partners and existing investors. The investment supports our continued investment in research and development.
We are profitable, growing fast, and having fun transforming the world of e-commerce.
Learn more at rokt.com.
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to join our Optimisation Team. This team is responsible for the implementation of machine learning services that delivers the most relevant action and experience to each customer across the Rokt network. We are looking for someone who is a talented leader with deep expertise in machine learning and passion for using data to build scalable machine learning based solutions. You will be expected to apply your strong machine learning, engineering and problem solving skills to priorities and execute on projects. Our ideal candidate has experience in both software engineering and machine learning.
Reporting directly into the Head of Data and Optimisation, you will be leading a team of highly experienced and highly qualified data scientists and engineers to build innovative solutions that will have a big impact on the company’s core mission.
Outcomes & responsibilities
- Increase innovation and maintain technical excellence:
- Own the research, design, development, testing, deployment and maintenance of machine learning systems and services at Rokt.
- Provide leadership on complex technical issues.
- Set standards for technical excellence such coding and architectural best practices.
- Growing and keeping the team highly engaged:
- Actively promote Rokt’s engineering team and help build a team of Roktstart engineers.
- Draw from your broad technical background to mentor engineers in your team.
- Help build career goals for each of your team members.
- Successful delivery of quarterly roadmap items:
- Work with the peer product owner to plan and manage delivery expectations of roadmap items.
- Manages expectations within and outside the team - e.g risks, unexpected issues.
- Actively monitor progress and intervene where required to mitigate risks and bottlenecks between peer managers.
Capabilities & requirements
- Problem solving:
- You have deep expertise in bayesian statistics and various statistical modelling techniques especially tree based models.
- Computer Science fundamentals in object oriented design, data structures, algorithms and complexity analysis.
- You have proficiency in one modern language Python, R, Julia,Scala, Golang, C++ or Java and have built production grade machine learning applications and are familiar with cloud technologies such as AWS.
- Experience with data warehousing technologies like Redshift, Greenplum or BigQuery.
- You have set up CI/CD pipelines and are familiar with containerisation technologies such as Docker.
- Learns quickly: demonstrated ability to quickly understand and absorb new information.
- Analytical skills: able to process both qualitative and quantitative data and draw conclusions from it.
- Curious: has a probing mind. Passion for technology and eager to dive-in to figure out how things work.
- Attention to detail: does not let important details slip through the cracks. Is on top of what matters to successfully deliver a project.
- Ability to quickly understand business logic and be able to translate into expected technical behavior
- Planning: plans, organizes and schedules in an efficient and productive manner.
- Resilience and tenacity:
- Adaptabile: adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; eager to roll up sleeves and do whatever it takes to help make projects and clients successful
- Efficiency: able to deliver significant output with minimal wasted effort.
- Proactive: acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the table.
- Persistence: demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get it done.
- Emotional intelligence:
- Ability to develop other team members.
- Teamwork: works effectively with diverse geographically separated teams (clients and Rokt’stars). Able to build collaborative working relationships.
- Calm under pressure
- Communication: speaks and writes succinctly and clearly.
- Listening skills: seeks to understand others.
- Masters or PhD degree in a quantitative field - computer science, engineering, mathematics or statistics.
- 6+ years of experience in Analytics, Data Science or Software Engineering, both as an individual contributor and managing teams.
- Work with the greatest talent in town. Our recruiting process is tough. We hold a high bar because we have a high performing culture - we only want the brightest and the best.
- Join a community. We believe the best things happen when we come together to solve complex problems and make meaningful connections with each other through interest groups, sports clubs, and social events.
- Accelerate your career. Develop through our global training events, ‘Level Up’ investment, online training courses and our fantastic people leaders. Take your career to Rokt’speed - the average time between promotions is 12 months.
- Take a break. When you work hard, we know you also need to rest. We offer generous time off and parental leave policies. We also offer a paid Rokt’star Sabbatical for employees who have been with us 3 years or more.
- Stay happy and healthy. Enjoy catered lunch 3 times a week and healthy snacks in the office. Plus join the gym on us! Access generous retirement plans like a 4% dollar-for-dollar 401K matching plan in the US. In the US, get fully funded premium health insurance for your whole family.
- Become a shareholder. All Rokt’stars have stock options. If we succeed, everyone gets to enjoy the upside.
- See the world! Along with our global all-staff events in amazing locations (Phuket, Thailand in January 2020), we also offer generous relocation packages for those interested in moving to another Rokt office. We have cool offices in great cities - Tokyo, New York, Singapore, Boston, Sydney.
- We believe in equality. Rokt is an Equal Opportunity Employer and recognizes that a diverse workforce is crucial to our success as a business. We would love to hear from you - irrespective of socio-economic status or background, age, gender identity, race, religion, sexual orientation, colour, pregnancy, carer/family responsibilities, national and social origin, political opinion, marital, veteran, or disability status.