Senior ETL Big Data Developer at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Sterling, VA, US, 20116 New York, NY, US, 10012 Silver Spring, MD, US, 20910 Atlanta, GA, US, 30305 Los Angeles, CA, US, 90067 Miami, FL, US, 33126-6030 Knoxville, TN, US, 37932 Bellevue, WA, US, 98004
Date: Jun 30, 2021
Req ID: 3235
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
As Discovery Communications’ portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
The Global Data Analytics team enables Discovery Communications to turn data into action. Using big data platforms, data warehousing and business intelligence technology, audience data, advanced analytics, data science, visualization, and self-service analytics, this team supports company efforts to increase revenue, drive ratings, and enhance consumer engagement.
The ETL Big Data Developer should be a technical contributor who has hands-on knowledge of all phases in building large-scale cloud based distributed data processing systems and applications. You will be part of the Global Data & Analytics engineering technology team and will partner closely with a team of data scientists, business analysts, Data Engineers and ETL Developers leading Discovery’s cloud-based Analytics strategy.
You’ll work on implementing AWS based big data ETL projects with a focus on Transforming, Merginga and creating various DataMars and centralized data ware house using multiple technology platforms.
This position is responsible for extensive Analysis, design and development of Data warehouse projects to solve complex problems that require the consideration of operating systems capacity and limitations, operating time and form of desired results. Provides technical contribution in the development of detailed specifications from which programs will be written and perform design, coding, testing, debugging and documentation.
• Design processes to extract, transform and load the source data to the targets and Data marts.
• Develop complex code to load data in to Data marts using AWS/EMR Spark and Scala
• Perform unit and system testing on the processes and resulting data lake tables.
• Create test cases and test the data.
• Mentor others on the team with product functionality and provide guidelines and solutions on performance tuning techniques and industry best practices.
• Understanding the existing environment, translating into new environment requirements and planning tasks to meet those requirements.
• Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Sciences or similar
• Minimum of 5-6 years Software Industry experience
• 3+ years of development experience with AWS services Must have EC2, EMR , RedShift, Snowflake,Data Pipeline or Airflow, S3, Jenkins
• Experience creating and managing complex data architectures
• Experience with data warehousing databases Redshift, oracle and techniques
• 4+ years of extensive working knowledge in different programming Scala ( Must ), Shell and Python (Must).
• Proficiency working with structured, semi-structured and unstructured data sets including social, web logs and real time streaming data feeds
• Expert level usage with Jenkins, GitHub is preferred
• Spark developer certification is a plus
• Experience in the media industry is a plus
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.