About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms, and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard, and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers, and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
Grubhub is looking for an innately curious, business-minded, results-oriented Data Scientist to work in our Search and Discovery team. We are focused on providing high quality recommendations to diners who are exploring restaurants in their area as well as those who are searching for something specific. As a member of this highly collaborative team you will partner with other data scientists, engineering, and product to deliver new run time models and services. You will be responsible for creating metrics to validate performance of models, proposing new algorithmic approaches to improve our current system, designing A/B tests, and identifying creative solutions to bridge state of the art information retrieval advanced and business and engineering requirements. Some specific responsibilities include but are not limited to creating documentation accessible to both technical and non-technical audiences, mentoring junior data scientists, creating and maintaining automated training jobs, creating metrics dashboards and alerts, advising best algorithmic trade offs to business stakeholders.
The Impact You Will Make
- Help the business understand the efficacy of recommendations in search and discovery with regard to short and long term metrics
- Drive orders and diner returns via enticing and relevant recommendations for searches
- Bring state of the art advances in IR systems to our runtime environment. Assess new algorithms and business policies
- Model system interactions and diner behaviors for search and discovery
- Inform real-time data requirements design
- Partner with Product and Engineering teams to understand new product ideas, assess risks and ensure that the necessary data is available
- Understand our brands, markets, user behaviors, and long-term trends and help characterize these
- Design and deploy tables of metrics to inform business decisions
- Question our assumptions! Find new and better ways to do what we’re doing.
- Relentlessly analyze and improve the performance of our business.
What You Bring to the Table
- MS in quantitative discipline (Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics or other technical field etc) or equivalent experience
- 4+ years experience with data analytics, machine learning, or related field
- 2+ years experience in information retrieval or recommendation systems
- Experience in predictive modeling, preferably in tensorflow
- Experience in data engineering and feature preparation in pyspark, hive,and the python data stack.
- Comfort communicating performance metrics, model details, and features specifications to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience deploying machine learning models in production runtimes
- Ability to recreate models from latest publications
- Deep interest in self-motivated continuous learning
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries.
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events, and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.