Senior Manager,Engineering (Data Platform & DAIT) at HUMAN
At HUMAN we are all about keeping it human. We are the global leader in bot mitigation. We protect more than 200 enterprises—including the largest internet platforms—from sophisticated bots by verifying the humanity of nearly one trillion online interactions every week. The most sophisticated bots look and act like humans when they click on ads, visit websites, fill out forms, take over accounts, and commit payment fraud. We stop them.
Founded in 2012 in a Brooklyn sci-fi bookstore, our Bot Mitigation Platform protects enterprises from the sophisticated bots that threaten them. It’s an ongoing war that we fight passionately every day. Join our mission to stop bots, disrupt the economics of cybercrime, and keep it human.
The data platform builds and maintains the primary organs and arteries of our system. The team’s mission is to consistently deliver a world-class data platform that enables our security researchers, threat intel analysts, and data scientists to quickly and reliably detect malicious non-human activity. You will be helping tackle a wide range of problems from finding more efficient ways to help research sophisticated botnets to delivering only the most critical and impactful insights to our customers as fast as possible, so they can take action.
The DAIT Team (Detection Analysis and Investigation tools) builds pipelines and tools for our internal detection and threat intel team to automate manual processes and make it easier to find patterns and leads. The adversaries HUMAN encounters in our day-to-day aren't just bedroom hackers. They are technically adept and savvy fraudsters, operating at a scale and agility that makes their 'enterprise' profitable. Therefore, our detection team/threat intel team needs the support of experienced software engineers who build quality systems that are resilient to change. We are the team that supports these teams to perform their job at their best.
By joining this team at Human Inc, you will gain a deep understanding of how our products and services work all the way from signal collection to customer reports and are able to make a major impact on cleaning up the internet. You will be responsible for the evolution of a platform that will grow in scale by 100x (current volume is over 1 PB) to 1000x, ensure that our data can never be used for ill by anyone (e.g. privacy and security are at the core of the system design), and incorporate the latest ML and fraud research techniques. You will also be responsible for maintaining data used for reports and dashboards which will enable customers to gain insights and act on it.What you will do:
- Work with the team, product management, executive partners, and your team to define a vision and plan for the team.
- Establish clear OKRs for the team
- Understand organizational strategy and goals and help the team understand decision criteria, so they can make prioritization decisions for their sprints and day to day work
- Participate in strategic debates and decision making across the company
- Use your experience to help the team with critical architectural and delivery decisions
- Establish a DevOps culture with the appropriate observability, operational processes, and engineering practices for the team
- Hire and develop technical talent
- Build a healthy succession bench and foster a culture consistent with our brand, organizational values, user/customer focus, and passion for the web.
- Have experience with high scale data platforms (understands designs of distributed systems, experience with high efficiency systems, implications of automated delivery and support for high complexity systems at scale, etc.)
- Effectively built a team, defined its mission, and executed on its goals Good at giving and receiving feedback and providing mentor to the team
- Understand multiple Agile processes and applies them appropriately to help the team (not just focused on Scrum or Spiral or something else)
- Have experience with bleeding-edge data platform capabilities
- You understand that DevOps is a culture and way of thinking
- You are a servant leader - you understand that you are here to serve the team and make them successful.
- You reason from first principles and evaluate options rigorously.
- You lead by example.
- You are open, transparent, and work in tight collaboration with anyone.
- You are naturally curious and passionate about learning and growing your skillset.
- You have the ability, and more importantly, the passion to teach, coach, and mentor individuals and contribute frequently to educate the greater community.
- You have both breadth and depth of software engineering expertise.
- You have excellent verbal and written language skills, especially when talking about code and systems. You are comfortable communicating in a decentralized work environment and across organizations.
These are some additional skills that the team has developed and use regularly but are not required for new hires (other than a burning desire to learn them when needed):
- Understand machine learning techniques and models
- Have a cybersecurity background
- Unlimited PTO
- Private medical and dental insurance for all full-time employees
- Fully paid parental leave
- Learning & Development fund
- Phenomenal coaching from senior leaders and challenging development opportunities
- Monthly internet, phone bill, and meal stipend to support working remotely during COVID-19
- Company-sponsored TalkSpace membership for you and your family
Our HQ office is located in the heart of New York City. We are growing the company deliberately with a keen eye towards maintaining values that embody diversity, lifestyle, and career growth. We are doing substantial work, and we need people to join our mighty team. We are proud of our overwhelmingly positive presence on Glassdoor and Built in NYC. We have offices located in NYC, DC, Victoria, and London.
We understand it takes a diverse team of passionate, curious, and creative people to solve the challenges involved in protecting the Internet. Our dynamic team of humans have incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity workplace.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.