Senior Research Analyst
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
The Senior Research Analyst will support theSkimm’s Insights, Brand Strategy and Sales teams, who are experienced, resourceful, creative, scrappy hustlers. This role will help us better understand our audience and its behaviors primarily to support sales & partnership opportunities, but also to help with product development & message. The ideal candidate is proactive, collaborative, and detail-oriented, as well as passionate about research to drive partnership opportunities, as we’re looking for someone with experience pulling insights from disparate data sets to tell a holistic story.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Support day-to-day efforts of the Insights and Brand Strategy teams, leveraging data & research to develop unique client-focused insights and marketing stories
- Manage and execute quantitative, qualitative and secondary research projects from the ground up with a particular emphasis on original primary survey research for advertising opportunities
- Use data creatively to generate audience insights, category insights, identify white spaces & solve challenges for advertising partners
- Monitor & update pre-sales resources, including category specific insights, competitive analyses and FAQ data & slides (i.e. % of moms, Gen Z, etc etc) at a mutually agreed upon cadence with Sales
- Develop category expertise, synthesize and contribute data/trends/industry news into sales materials for a more holistic story
- Work to understand how macro trends (e.g. the current political environment, etc) relate to our audience and our partners
- Work with insights lead and Sales team to proactively identify opportunities for useful and impactful research for potential and existing partners
- Join brainstorms & work with brand strategists on insights-driven deliverables
- Present research and insights in client-facing scenarios
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 2-4 years of experience in a research capacity (e.g. strategy, market research, consulting, or analytics, with strength in primary research)
- Familiarity with survey research tools and methodologies such as brand trackers, net promoter score, & ad effectiveness surveys
- Familiarity with qualitative research methodologies such as in-depth interviews and ethnographies
- An ability to prioritize your time and focus in a fast-paced environment
- Being very comfortable with data, creative and resourceful to solve problems, and inquisitive by nature and constantly asking "who, what, and why?"
- Ability to interpret “fuzzy” requests from “non-research” people and turn into meaningful, actionable insights
WHAT WILL SET YOU APART
- You love to learn and have experience to support that
- Client-facing experience (e.g. pitches or presentations)
- An interest in and understanding of brand strategy and/or integrated marketing
- A keen interest in news / current events
- An understanding of advanced statistical analysis
- Experience with SQL, and/or the idea of learning a programming language does not scare you
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- Free One Medical Membership
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through Carrot Fertility
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY