Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $4.3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $42 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better.com is growing, and we’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer, Data Platform to join our Data team. Help us transform a thirteen trillion dollar industry that will allow more people to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. If you’re looking to make an impact alongside a collaborative team that’s redefining the homeownership industry, check us out. Our Engineering team is headquartered in NYC, but is remote friendly. All remote employees must be US-based.
What you'll work on:
- Building a solution for data cataloging, discovery and lineage
- Improving our experimentation platform and building frameworks around our Airflow setup
- Developing patterns for efficient use of dbt and Looker/LookML, to ensure easy access for working on data modeling, while maintaining data quality
- Ensuring our main Redshift cluster scales robustly, and evaluating other solutions we might use instead, or in addition
- Partnering with our Data Science team to evaluate and deploy a framework for developing and deploying machine learning models
- Improve tooling for how we ingest data from internal and external data sources
Who you are:
- You have at least 4 years of experience with data engineering, and data infrastructure/platform work
- You have strong software engineering skills, and 4+ years of experience with Python and SQL
- You have 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design of new and existing data processing systems (architecture, reliability, monitoring, and scaling)
- Experience in building complex data management and processing software systems
- You are business-driven, and care about getting to the bottom of how to make a startup successful
- The data stack is all in Python 3.7, currently running on AWS Redshift, Airflow, dbt, Looker, etc
- We use Node.js, Python and Go for services, and Postgres for service databases
- We do continuous deployment, and we ship code 50-100 times every day.
- Everything is deployed on Kubernetes running on AWS, leveraging EC2, S3, SWF, CloudFront, Route53, and much more, managed with Terraform.
- The Data Platform team is 7 people and aiming to continue growing considerably throughout the year.
- Our new Chief Technology Officer, Diane Yu, brings a wealth of experience and leadership to our engineering team and technology operation. Prior to joining Better, she was the Co-Founder and CTO at FreeWheel, a technology platform she built from scratch and subsequently sold to Comcast in 2017.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.