Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning (Greater NYC Area, NY or Remote)
Healthcare should work for patients, but it doesn’t. In their time of need, they call down outdated insurance directories. Then wait on hold. Then wait weeks for the privilege of a visit. Then wait in a room solely designed for waiting. Then wait for a surprise bill. In any other consumer industry, the companies delivering such a poor customer experience would not survive. But in healthcare, patients lack market power. Which means they are expected to accept the unacceptable.
Zocdoc’s mission is to give power to the patient. To do that, we’ve built the leading healthcare marketplace that makes it easy to find and book in-person or virtual care in all 50 states, across +200 specialties and +12k insurance plans. By giving patients the ability to see and choose, we give them power. In doing so, we can make healthcare work like every other consumer sector, where businesses compete for customers, not the other way around. In time, this will drive quality up and prices down.
We’re 15 years old and the leader in our space, but we are still just getting started. If you like solving important, complex problems alongside deeply thoughtful, driven, and collaborative teammates, read on.
Your Impact on our Mission
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning to join our Search team at Zocdoc! As a SSE at Zocdoc you’ll balance individual contribution with mentorship. Search SSE’s have the opportunity to work on our core Search product, helping our Data Scientists and other teams continuously improve the quality of our results. You’ll build scalable products that make the healthcare search experience for patients, providers, and Zocdocr’s simpler, safer, and more efficient.
You’ll enjoy this role if you are…
- Passionate about building data platforms built with the latest technologies
- A product-driven engineer who loves working in a highly collaborative and supportive environment
- Motivated by building products that make healthcare easier
- Excited to use technology to enhance the consumer experience
- Passionate about building diverse and inclusive teams and culture
- Excited to lead projects and be a mentor for other engineers
Your day to day is…
- Contributing to the end to end development of our Search algorithms
- Working with other teams to incorporate their features within Search in a way that makes the most impact on our patients
- Shipping efficient and scalable code to millions of users autonomously
- Collaborating with our agile team of dedicated and brilliant engineers, product managers, and designers. You will partner with the product and design teams to develop product improvements
- Making a meaningful impact as you own and release features in our CI environment that will impact patients, doctors, and Zocdocr’s alike
- Mentoring your peers, with the notion that helping others means learning and growing yourself
You’ll be successful in this role if you have…
- Passion for technology and the ability to think critically about performance, scalability, and reliability of software
- Implemented fast and efficient software solutions using object-oriented or functional languages. Some of the technologies we utilize are Python, React, Scala, C# and Node.js, however we are language agnostic
- Designed and built backend applications that scale
- Experience productionalizing machine learning models
- 5+ years of professional development experience. Knowledge of Python, Scala and consumer facing machine learning models is a plus
- Successfully mentored other engineers in the past and encouraged your peers to use software development best practices for code testing and deployment
- A Computer Science or related degree (preferred)
- Flexible, hybrid work environment
- Unlimited PTO
- 100% paid employee health benefit options
- Employer funded 401(k) match
- L&D offerings + a free LinkedIn learning account
- Corporate wellness programs with Headspace and Peloton
- Sabbatical leave (for employees with 5+ years of service)
- Competitive parental leave
- Cell phone reimbursement
- In office perks including:
- Catered lunch everyday along with snacks
- Commuter Benefits
- Convenient Soho location
Zocdoc is the country’s leading digital health marketplace that helps patients easily find and book the care they need. Each month, millions of patients use our free service to find nearby, in-network providers, compare choices based on verified patient reviews, and instantly book in-person or video visits online. Providers participate in Zocdoc’s Marketplace to reach new patients to grow their practice, fill their last-minute openings, and deliver a better healthcare experience. Founded in 2007 with a mission to give power to the patient, our work each day in pursuit of that mission is guided by our six core values. Zocdoc is a private company backed by some of the world’s leading investors, and we believe we’re still only scratching the surface of what we plan to accomplish.
Zocdoc is a mission-driven organization dedicated to building teams as diverse as the patients and providers we aim to serve. In the spirit of one of our core values - Together, Not Alone, we are a company that prides itself on being highly collaborative, and we believe that diverse perspectives, experiences and contributors make our community and our platform better. We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Applicants are considered for employment regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by applicable laws.
Job Applicant Privacy Notice