Senior Software/Systems Engineer - Site Reliability (Databases)
The Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) Databases team is looking for experienced and passionate software engineers and systems engineers who possess backgrounds in systems, programming and networking, transactional and NOSQL datastores and high availability architectures to help in ensuring that our internal and external customer base can quickly and reliably update and retrieve data.
We integrate our build methodologies with a variety of developer workflows and platforms, we keep our promises to other engineering teams regarding availability and responsiveness using HA architecture techniques and deep systems and networking knowledge. We support internal analytics teams with cutting edge technology, and we build tooling and automation to support a CI/CD workflow incorporating database builds. We work with the security teams to keep a close eye on the latest vulnerabilities and constantly protect our product, infrastructure and networks.
We expose an alert routing infrastructure via custom Graphite time-series databases, and a Sensu alerting framework integrated into our build pipeline.
- Build tooling around infrastructure components like MongoDB, Couchbase, Elasticsearch, Kafka, RabbitMQ, Redis, PostgreSQL and Cassandra clusters. Serve as operational escalation point for teams using these products.
- Write high-quality infrastructure-as-code that automates the provisioning, deployment, scaling, and monitoring of Squarespace’s infrastructure and ensure it is redundant and performant around the globe.
- Work closely with a team of experienced infrastructure engineers to architect and design data pipelines and continuously embrace cutting edge data storage technologies and development methodologies.
- Strong programming experience in Java, C++, Python, Go, or Ruby.
- Deep experience managing large-scale software and distributed systems in *nix environments.
- A strong understanding of, and practical experience with web application development.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design practices.
- Extensive operational and architectural background in SQL and NOSQL technologies.
- Strong understanding of database design, caching, scalability, and network fundamentals.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, or other CNCF software is a big plus.
- BS, MS, or PhD degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent industry experience.
Squarespace empowers people with creative ideas to succeed.. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 800 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Equity plan
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Free lunch and snacks
- Dog-friendly workplace
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.