Software Engineer, Backend at JW Player
Scale matters. When it comes to our video platform, scale means ingesting tens of thousands of hours of video a day, processing millions of events per minute and serving thousands of videos every second.
Projects you could own:
- Video delivery APIs that scale to tens of thousands of requests per second at petabyte scale
- Log-based architecture using Kafka
- Recommendations engine serving 15MM+ daily unique viewers
- A next generation transcoding pipeline
- A data science/machine learning pipeline using Airflow and Tensorflow
- A search API powered by Elasticsearch
- A video metadata extraction platform using machine learning
We’re excited about candidates who have:
- 3+ years of experience in software development
- Fluency in Python; we’re big fans of the book Effective Python.
- A proven track record of ownership of maintainable, stable and scalable software
- A collaborative demeanor
- Excellent communications skills
- An obsession for code quality and test coverage
- A bias for action: we value team members who are self-starters and take ownership
- Strong Unix/Linux skills
- Knowledge of Docker and containerization
- Bachelor's degree (or more) in a Computer Science; or equivalent experience
JW Company Culture:
At JW Player, we believe a big part of team success comes from pairing people who are driven and creative with an environment that encourages learning and collaboration, rewards innovation, and gives voice to every member of our community.
Here is a sample of what we do:
- Bi-annual hack weeks
- Fireside chats with members across the JW family
- Employee-led instruction on everything from deep learning to knitting
- P&E all hands where we walk through architecture and customer use cases of our products
- Company sponsored outings
- D&I committee fostering inclusiveness
- New hire buddy program
- A deployment system on top of Kubernetes
- Ability to continuously deploy multiple times a day
- Python for (most) backend development
- Go for command line tools
- Postgres for our relational databases, Kafka for data change capture, RabbitMQ for our message broker, Redis for caching, Snowflake for analytics
- CI/CD with Jenkins and Buildkite
- AWS infrastructure, leveraging EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much more
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web over a decade ago and continues to innovate as the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types and sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver and monetize their content across all devices. JW Player’s massive global footprint of over 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights and generates billions of incremental video views. The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London and Eindhoven, and was named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ in 2017. For more information, visit http://www.jwplayer.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.