Software Engineer, Machine Learning at Flatiron Health
We're looking for a Software Engineer, Machine Learning to help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
At Flatiron, we use real-world oncology data to improve care and accelerate research. Our machine learning teams expand the scope of what we can achieve with our unique data. We build ML-enabled capabilities, platforms, and products that directly impact Flatiron’s mission of learning from every cancer patient.
What You’ll Do
In this role, you’ll join our growing team of world-class engineers, statisticians, and clinical experts to deploy machine learning algorithms that improve oncology treatment and research. You will be tasked with finding the most promising opportunities for impact and then delivering on them. You’ll work to solve challenging ML and NLP problems using data from millions of patients and hundreds of millions of documents to enable novel research on the impact of cancer treatments in the real world, to identify rare patient populations, to create new tools for measuring the quality of care, and to improve the process for matching patients to clinical trials. In addition, you'll also:
- Build reliable and scalable production machine learning systems
- Work on feature engineering, statistical analysis, developing novel ML techniques, understanding classifier performance, and ensuring fit-for-purpose
- Develop solutions that make a difference in patients’ lives
- Work cross-functionally across diverse stakeholders, including product managers, statisticians, EHR data specialists, and oncologists
You’ll have the opportunity to work on the machine learning team having a measurable impact in healthcare, get mentorship from senior technical and clinical leaders, and participate in the broader ML-healthcare community through external speaking and publication opportunities.
Who You Are
You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves and using technology to tackle meaningful problems every day. You love simple approaches to complex problems and would be excited about working on a multi-disciplinary team. You’re a kind, passionate, and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives honest feedback and values the chance to improve the lives of cancer patients. You:
- You hold a BS, MS, or PhD in computer science or a related field
- You have 2+ years experience applying ML toward practical problems
- You have a proven track record of using data-driven approaches to creatively solve product problems
- You understand experimental design and can build for collection, measurement, and interpretation of results
- You have outstanding communication skills, are great at working cross-functionally, and are always focused on the impact of your work
Bonus points if:
- You hold a PhD in computer science or a related field
- You have experience in natural language processing
- You have experience working with clinical data
- You have published academic research in machine learning or contributed to an open-source machine learning software project