Sr. Data Engineer at Frame.io
See all roles
If you’re passionate about gathering data to scale a high-growth business while managing and improving daily workflows, join us as our first Data Engineer.
Frame.io is changing the future of how videos are made by helping over 1 million creative professionals seamlessly collaborate from all over the world.
We’re backed by Accel, FirstMark, Insight Partners, SignalFire, Jared Leto, and a host of other amazing investors. Our market-leading product is used and loved by companies such as Turner, Disney, NASA, Snapchat, BBC, BuzzFeed, TED, Adobe, Udemy, and many more.
We’re in an exciting period of growth and are always seeking extremely talented and passionate individuals who share our vision for helping visual content creators produce their best work.
About the Role
Frame.io is seeking its first data engineer to support our growing data collection and consumption needs. As a software company serving more than 120,000 monthly active users, we’re sitting on billions of rows of activity log and transactional data, and we collect more than 300 million+ new rows each month from a variety of sources.
Collecting, cleansing, organizing, storing, and leveraging data at that scale isn’t an easy task, but we’re fortunate to have invested in a toolkit and processes that help support a robust data infrastructure. Now, we’re looking for someone to manage and improve our daily workflows for the next level of growth.
Today, we collect our data from a variety of sources, including transactional data stored in Postgres that powers our software application, activity data captured and piped through Segment, customer traits and communication data from a variety of marketing and sales tools that connect seamlessly to Segment (we leverage Zapier when they don’t), financial data from Stripe and Salesforce, and a multitude of others.
Our internal teams consume the majority of our data in Looker for BI and visualization purposes, but the data also powers personalized customer communications through a variety of sales and marketing tools and tailored onsite experiences.
Our current data team of 3 will double to 6 this year. With this growth will follow a greater demand for fresh, clean, actionable data-- and that’s where you come in. Your role will be to architect, construct, and build on top of/extend our current data infrastructure to support that demand. On top of regular data pipeline creation and maintenance, you’ll partner with key stakeholders from growth, marketing, sales and product to make certain data accessible in real-time to construct even more powerful customer experiences.
If that sounds like an exciting challenge, let’s chat!
- At a minimum, 3+ years of experience as a data engineer, backend engineer, data scientist or business intelligence analyst in which you set up solid data pipelines and have extracted meaning from big data sets with little engineering support
- Experience designing schemas and building data models
- Expert knowledge of Python and SQL
- Experience setting up and maintaining databases within AWS
- Experience using any of the following tools strongly preferred but not required: Looker, Segment, Amplitude, Postgres, Redshift, Snowflake, BigQuery, dbt, or Apache Airflow
- You’re passionate about the value that clean, fresh, and actionable data can unlock and you understand how your work serves an end-business purpose.
- You care intensely about scaling your impact through a systems-based approach and have adopted tools and techniques to do so. Additionally, you like to stay on top of current data trends and technologies in the market.
- You’re proactive about supporting internal data consumers and business stakeholders.
- You’re naturally curious about business strategy and keep yourself informed of big picture company roadmaps and milestones to better support the organization.
- You’re a forward thinker. You’re able to build for scale and create solutions that satisfy many needs rather than an individual project.
- You’ve set up architecture from the ground up and are looking to replicate your successes.
- Help define our data strategy and contribute to the execution of our data roadmap.
- Maintain, monitor, and optimize our data pipelines for reliability and performance.
- Supplement, augment, and standardize raw data by modeling and transforming it in our data warehouse.
- Continually evaluate and refine our technical data toolkit, sharing your findings and best practices with the team.
- Connect data sources from disparate sales, marketing, and logging tools to support real-time, personalized customer experiences and communications that help grow the business.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Paid parental leave for primary or secondary caregivers
- Unlimited PTO and designated Volunteering paid time off
- Work From Anywhere Week
- Yearly stipend for learning and development
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance and OneMedical membership
- Pre-tax commuter benefit and Flexible Spending Account
- Daily catered lunch & fully stocked kitchen with cold brew on tap
- Discounted gym membership, Classpass discount and Free Citi-Bike membership
Our philosophy is simple. At Frame.io, we believe that working with people of different backgrounds and perspectives allows us to elevate each other and helps us build a better product for our users.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and are committed to providing all employees with a work environment that celebrates individuality and remains free from any form of discrimination and harassment. We base our employment decisions on the needs of our business, job requirements, and applicants' qualifications. In other words, we only care that you’re the best person for the job.