Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Discovery Digital Media covers a wide array of vertical platforms, including TV Everywhere, OTT, and DTC. Our Digital Analytics team plays an integral role in delivering insights to inform all Digital product and strategy decisions that Discovery takes. We’re looking for a seasoned Sr. Data Engineer to join the team.
- Be responsible for supporting the development of digital analytics capabilities, processes and best practices across the business.
- Leverage different systems and various testing tools to ensure data quality and data integrity of our growing array of data sources on various Digital platforms.
- Work with Product and developers to fix data issues.
- Be responsible in generating data-driven insights to help turn business problems and challenges into opportunities.
- Take a leading role in growing scale and deepening understanding of our data assets– including internal, external, structured, and unstructured data– while testing hypotheses using appropriate analytical techniques.
Work with the larger Digital and Commercial Insights Lab team to:
- Support the design and construction of relevant data sets
- Ability to create test cases, capture meaningful logs, review test results, report/document technical issue, and work with developers to help troubleshoot.
- Support development of data quality framework to proactively identify data inconsistencies and errors; work to ensure that issues are quickly remedied.
- Video player knowledge required.
- Understanding of video and product quality metrics such as video start time, EBVS, etc.
- Knowledge with Adobe Analytics
- Familiar with app distribution platforms: TestFlight and HockeyApp
- Assist and contribute to development of predictive models
- Apply machine learning techniques to solve complex questions or fuel new business opportunities.
- Understand the data- and analytics-related activities in various business lines, focused but by no means limited to digital platforms
- Promote and assist driving understanding and adoption of digital data assets
* Bachelor’s, Master’s in a related field of studies (Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math preferred)
* Proficient with programming/data tools such as SAS, SQL, R, Python, Hadoop, Hive
* Experience working with data science and/or software engineering teams
* Experience with statistical and predictive modelling techniques such as machine learning, decision trees, probability networks, association rules, anomaly detection, recommender systems, natural language processing, clustering and regression.
* Experience is Data processing and manipulation on Cloud systems such as AWS and Google Cloud
* Knowledge and understanding of the media/digital media industry a plus
* Knowledge of web analytics platforms such as Google Analytics and Adobe Analytics is a plus
* Excellent quantitative and analytical skills with the ability to draw conclusions based on data
* Very detail oriented
* Strategic thinker, flexible problem solver, great listener and team orientation
* Comfortable working in a deadline-driven environment
* Excellent communication skills
* Skilled at project tracking and execution
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.