Sr. Data Scientist at Electric
Electric is a Series B startup backed by Bessemer Venture Partners, Bowery Capital, Primary Venture Partners and led by a team of seasoned entrepreneurs, operators, and technologists. With software forming the foundation of every office, Electric is the world’s first all-in-one, modern IT support solution that can truly meet the needs of growing businesses. Through a chat interface, personalized service, and flat-rate pricing we keep our client’s email, computers, Wi-Fi and software running smoothly at a fraction of the cost and headaches normally experienced with traditional managed service providers.
Our company is a fun, fast-paced environment with enormous opportunities for career advancement. We are seeking highly motivated, detail-oriented go-getters who want to move up in a tech startup.
We are seeking a mature data science generalist to join our Engineering team. The person we hire into this role will work to maximize value from our company’s data, partnering with the Operations team to generate business insights, and with the Product team to accelerate R&D for data- and machine-learning- driven products. This will be a key role, with influence on our technical, product, and business strategy.
What you’ll do
- Partner with the Operations team to deeply understand the important drivers of our business, using thoughtful data analysis to inform key decisions.
- Identify opportunities to improve our product by applying the tools and principles of statistics and/or machine learning. Build working prototypes to prove out the potential value of your ideas.
- Collaborate with the broader Engineering team to deliver production-ready, data-driven software.
- Leverage various data sources at our disposal to inform the prioritization of our product roadmap, and measure (and optimize) the success of new features.
- Mentor more junior team members, and share data insights and concepts with the broader team.
- Take on other strategic, technical, or data science projects to help Electric grow quickly and efficiently while delighting our customers.
Who you are
- 5+ years of combined post-undergrad job experience and education. Degree in math, CS, physics, or a hard science is a plus. Ph.D.’s and MS’s are awesome, although we care most about motivation and intellectual curiosity.
- Strong knowledge of Python, including significant experience working with the PyData stack (Pandas, Scikit-Learn, Numpy, IPython, etc.).
- Comfortable applying foundational statistics concepts (e.g. t-tests), as well as traditional machine learning (e.g. random forests) in day to day work.
- Intellectual curiosity! You should be interested in and competent with at least one other approach to inference or prediction, beyond data science 101. E.g. Bayesian analysis, deep learning, time series analysis, advanced hypothesis testing, optimization, etc.
- Experience writing production software, including using relational databases, ORM’s, writing tests, using Git, handling exceptions, code reviews, and so on.
- Capable of writing SQL in his or her sleep. Has a favorite and least favorite business intelligence tool and data visualization library.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and spoken. Be prepared to participate in constructive debate, write memos, make presentations, etc.
- Curious, and asks good questions. Like, really, really good questions. Success in this role will require cutting through noise and getting to the heart of the matter.
- Be flexible and be ready to switch contexts! We’re looking for someone who’d be happy to train a text classifier on Monday, build a user behavior dashboard on Tuesday, and squash a production bug on a Wednesday.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users.