Sr. Manager / Director, Machine Learning and Data Products at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Role:
This is one of the critical leadership roles at RTR, a data-driven company that is changing the way women get dressed. In this role, you will manage all efforts to build machine learning products across the business - consumer/website, marketing, operations, and inventory. That includes personalization, inventory catalog optimization, network optimization, allocation, demand forecasting, and much more. You will grow and lead a team of experienced data scientists and machine learning engineers who own the full life cycle of data products, from exploratory analysis, building MVPs to deploying, maintaining, and iterating on production systems. You will directly report to our VP of Data and partner with C-level executives and the rest of senior leadership to shape and support our data strategy and develop a roadmap for internal and customer facing data products.
What You’ll Do:
- Translate business requirements to data science problems and lead the team to deliver best in class solutions on startup timelines
- Partner with stakeholders across merchandising, product, operations, marketing, and engineering teams to identify high impact opportunities to leverage data to better serve our users
- Develop our long term data products roadmap across multiple dimensions including personalization, demand forecasting, inventory allocation and transportation network optimization.
- Drive tangible business impact across RTR far beyond research and analytics
- Solidify data as a competitive moat for the company
- Grow the Data Science team by hiring talented candidates and developing leadership and deep expertise in the team
- Provide hands-on technical guidance to challenging data science problems faced by the team on a day-to-day basis
- You have a strong academic background in a quantitative field, for example mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering, statistics, etc.
- You have previous experience managing and growing a team of data scientists
- You have designed and lead data science initiatives in the past
- You are technically strong and have built machine learning based data products yourself.
- You possess the rare ability to understand data deeply AND be able to explain it clearly in non-technical terms.
- If you have experience in a subscription business (this is a plus)
- You are eager to roll up your sleeves and dig into any problem in a fast-paced startup environment.
- You have a strong ability to understand business priorities, recognize leverage in data science projects, and prioritize appropriately.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.