Staff Data Engineer at Namely
We are seeking a Staff Data Engineer who will lead by example, write great code, solve difficult problems, set a high bar for the entire team, and help the team achieve excellence. You will build high quality, architecturally-sound systems that will change how people engage strategically and tactically with HR technology. You will think globally when designing and building the Namely Data Platform, ensuring the architecture is evolving in the right long-term direction, bringing value to other engineering teams, and bringing value to customers daily.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for making a positive difference, solving complex problems efficiently, constantly learning as well as teaching, and a strong background in building best-in-class large-scale SaaS or consumer applications.
- Lead engineer, guiding architecture, implementation, software delivery and quality
- Architect and build scalable data processing platforms and client-facing data products
- Mentor data engineers in all areas of data processing and software development
- Provide technical mentorship to engineers across the larger engineering organization
- Internal evangelist, working across teams to foster adoption of tools, patterns and architectural approaches
- Lead by example and produce high-quality code that establishes coding standards and best practices for the team
- Be a strong partner to Product Managers, UX Designers, and other functions
- Effectively communicate technical and business risks to stakeholders
- 5+ years data engineering experience
- 2+ years as a lead engineer
- 10+ years overall software engineering experience
- Experience building data analytics and insights products
- Experience scaling and tuning batch and realtime data pipelines
- Strong data modeling skills, including data warehouse schema design
- ETL or other data cleansing and normalization experience
- Proven deliverables using Spark, Flink, EMR or Dataproc/Dataflow technologies with Kafka or PubSub tools
- Experience with various structured and unstructured data formats like Avro, Json, Protobuf, or Parquet
- Experience with data lakes and data volumes on the order of 100s of TBs
- Curious, self-driven, analytical and excited to play with data
- Self-driven, ownership mindset
- Scala, Java or similar language
- Strong experience in agile and test-driven methodologies
Nice to Have
- Experience with traditional RDBMSs
- Developing and deploying software in AWS
- Experience with platforms like Looker or Tableau
Namely was founded in 2012 to create an HR platform as intuitive as social media, but powerful enough to support the complexity of today’s workforce. Our belief is that great companies are built on a great employee experience, which is why we created the first HR platform employees love to use. In fact, unlike most traditional HR software, 78% of our clients’ employees log in to Namely at least once per month! Namely is backed by some amazing VCs including Sequoia, and serves companies in just about every industry and state nationwide. We love mid-sized companies because they’re mission-driven, client-obsessed, and care deeply about their employees... just like us. We believe in giving you the tools you need to do the best work of your career, and we’re just getting started.
We invite you to fill out the EEO survey below as part of our ongoing diversity initiatives at Namely. Your participation in the survey is completely optional and voluntary, and none of the information you provide will be considered in the hiring process or with respect to any employment decision made by Namely. Namely will have access only to anonymized data submitted through these surveys.