The data engineering team at Betterment develops and maintains platforms upon which data can be made available and transformed, helping produce valuable insights for both our customers and internal teams. We’re driven to create a seamless user experience that allows us as well as other engineers and analysts to easily create their own ETL pipelines on our self-serve data platform. We leverage and maintain cloud infrastructure that enables these efforts, utilizing AWS services including S3, Kinesis, Lambda, RDS, and Redshift. We provide guidance and support for database management, configuration and usage standards.You’ll need to leverage a variety of tools to help us realize these goals, and you’ll be a part of a team that’s tackling difficult questions of scale, architecture and efficiency.
A Day in the Life:
- Contribute to the technical vision and long-term strategy of the team
- Initiate, influence, and drive a diverse set of data-oriented problems, working with a wide range of teams and learning a great deal about finance in the process
- Think about scale and new technologies that will enable us to achieve a high level of efficiency for our data platforms
- Find ways to spread knowledge across the organization, leveling up engineering practices and mentoring other engineers
- Identify and develop plans to integrate with third party partners that will help us achieve our technical goals
- Work with people who care. We support many teams who are not engineers, but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and lots of fun.
What We’re Looking For:
- Deep expertise in at least one backend language, such as Java, Scala, C#, C++, Python - we build our services with Python
- Familiarity with ETL and creating pipelines for large datasets
- Experience utilizing cloud infrastructure - we use AWS
- A track record of developing and maintaining a long-term technical roadmap
- Desire to mentor other smart, passionate developers, fostering best practices
- Ability to develop and lead initiatives that affect the larger engineering organization
- Passion for software engineering as a craft, and for creating what doesn’t yet exist
- Ability to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- Appreciation for agility and pragmatism in software development
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means joining a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your health and well-being, and being on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
- You’ll join a Community:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing.
- You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- Regardless of where you are, we will ensure you're well set up and cared for, through gym reimbursements, a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
- You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional spending for outside learning.
- Contribute to our knowledge and transparent workspace through mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]About Betterment
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $22 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 480,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.