Staff Machine Learning Tech Lead, Manager at Flatiron Health
We're looking for a Staff Machine Learning Tech Lead, Manager who will help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the role, the machine learning team, and why Flatiron Health is a great next step in building your career.
What You’ll Do
In this role, you'll lead a team that solves challenging ML and NLP problems using data from millions of patients and hundreds of millions of documents to enable novel research on the impact of cancer treatments in the real world, to identify rare patient populations, to create new tools for measuring the quality of care, and to improve the process for matching patients to clinical trials. In addition you’ll:
- Guide machine learning projects from conception to research, development, and production deployment
- Provide technical leadership on feature engineering, statistical analysis, developing novel ML techniques, understanding classifier performance, ensuring fit-for-purpose, and architecting systems
- Identify opportunities for impact, set the direction for the team, and coach engineers and data scientists to achieve the team’s goals
- Set a high technical bar and provide detailed feedback on machine learning approaches and system architecture
- Unblock your reports, hold them accountable, provide them with feedback, and support their career development
- Work cross-functionally across diverse stakeholders, including product managers, statisticians, EHR data specialists, and oncologists
Our machine learning teams expand the scope of what we can achieve with our unique data. We build ML-enabled capabilities, platforms, and products that directly impact Flatiron’s mission of learning from every cancer patient. As a Tech Lead Manager, you'll have the opportunity to lead a growing machine learning team having measurable impact in healthcare, get mentorship from senior technical and clinical leaders, and participate in the broader ML-healthcare community through external speaking and publication opportunities.
Who You Are
You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves and using technology to tackle meaningful problems every day. You’re a kind, passionate, and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives honest feedback and values the chance to improve the lives of cancer patients.
- You hold a BS, MS, or PhD in computer science or a related field
- You have 3+ years experience building production-facing ML systems
- You have 3+ years experience in people management
- You have a proven track record of using data-driven approaches to creatively solve product problems
- You are enthusiastic about enabling your team and helping to develop careers
- You can provide detailed technical feedback on both software engineering and data science
- You have outstanding communication skills, are great at working cross-functionally, and are always focused on the impact of your work
- You hold a PhD in computer science or a related field
- You have experience in natural language processing
- You have experience working with clinical data
- You have published academic research in machine learning
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Professional development benefit for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Back-up child care
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.