Staff Software Engineer (Data)
Staff Software Engineer (Data)
Namely’s mission is to help mid-sized companies build a better workplace. We’re an HR, payroll, and benefits platform that provides the technology, data, and support that HR professionals need and employees love to use. People are at the center of everything we do, and we believe every company and employee deserves a great workplace, supported by innovative HR technology. At Namely, we are problem solvers, self-starters, and obsessed with creating the best experience for our clients.
Do you have a passion for building fault tolerant distributed systems? Do you have experience using events and event streaming for micro services architectures? At Namely, we're hiring a Staff Engineer to help implement and optimize the foundational streaming architecture of our product's inter service communication and orchestration.
We’ve built a strong data and event streaming engineering team to date, but have a lot of interesting and challenging work ahead of us, including:
- Completing the migration from relational database first to a streaming first data architecture.
- Defining and extending stream topology for inter and intra service consumption and analytics.
- Leveling up our platform, enhancing our automation, test coverage, observability, alerting, and performance.
As a Staff Data Engineer, you will work with the entire engineering organization to construct a data streaming platform that serves as the data first foundation for the Namely product.
Help us scale our business to meet the needs of our growing customer base and develop new products on the Namely platform. You'll be a critical part of our growing company, working on a cross-functional team to implement best practices in technology, architecture, and process. You’ll have the chance to work in an open and collaborative environment, receive hands-on mentorship and have ample opportunities to grow and accelerate your career!
- Build and extend our existing event streaming platform and ecosystem, including our real-time data environment
- Empower other teams to leverage our streaming ecosystem for inter service communication and auditing.
- Help other engineering teams build microservices and libraries that use event streaming and event sourcing.
- Build development processes for security, performance, reliability, and accuracy.
- Provide mentorship to fellow team members and the wider engineering organization.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or related fields required.
- 8+ years of experience with software engineering.
- 2+ years of experience working with microservices and event stream architectures.
- Fluency in at least one of Java, C# or Go and preferably at least one more strongly typed backend language.
- Proficient with Kafka Streaming concepts and architecture.
- Familiarity with other streaming technologies (e.g., Kinesis, Flink, Spark Streaming).
Nice to Have
- Experience with KStreams and KSQL.
- Experience with Event Sourcing and CQRS Architecture patterns.
- Cross team leadership experience.
Namely was founded in 2012 to create an HR platform as intuitive as social media, but powerful enough to support the complexity of today’s workforce. Our belief is that great companies are built on a great employee experience, which is why we created the first HR platform employees love to use. In fact, unlike most traditional HR software, 78% of our clients’ employees log in to Namely at least once per month! Namely is backed by some amazing VCs including Sequoia, and serves companies in just about every industry and state nationwide. We love mid-sized companies because they’re mission-driven, client-obsessed, and care deeply about their employees... just like us. We believe in giving you the tools you need to do the best work of your career, and we’re just getting started.