As Transit Planning Principal, you’ll be on the cutting-edge of the mobility revolution, combining your exceptional transportation and transit planning skills with Via’s sophisticated microtransit simulation technology and best practices. You’ll collaborate closely with our city and transit agency partners to deliver forward-thinking microtransit, new mobility, and multimodal plans and studies and to design and optimize microtransit services around the world.
What You'll Do
- Manage and contribute to complicated, multimodal transportation analysis to help communities study and design forward-looking, intermodal transportation and transit systems.
- Identify new product requirements that would allow Via to better meet the requirements of cities and transit agencies. Work with Via’s technology team to develop, test, and market the new products to our partners.
- Solve complex transportation problems by identifying where and how microtransit can improve a multi-modal network by providing a first/last mile service for a bus or rail line, optimizing coverage in areas with under-performing fixed-route service, or upgrading paratransit/dial-a-ride.
- Bring analytical rigor and planning expertise to Via’s business development process by designing customized microtransit services for potential partners (from major transit agencies to small cities) based on their geographies, land-use patterns, policy objectives, and budgets.
- Continuously optimize Via’s partners’ service by providing detailed and action-oriented advice about quality of service, productivity, and fixed-route transit integration opportunities; you will help ensure the success of Via’s global deployments.
- Raise the prominence of microtransit as a mainstream transportation mode through thought leadership, including identifying where microtransit should replace legacy fixed-route bus lines to provide better transportation policy outcomes.
Who You Are
- At least three years of transit planning experience (preferably at a top-notch transportation consulting firm or agency); you’re comfortable doing both route and system level transit analysis, have led complex client-facing studies, and are eager to apply your skills in new and exciting ways.
- Experienced user of transportation analysis and design software (e.g. GIS Network Analyst, TransCAD, etc.) with additional expertise in Tableau, Excel, and specialized geospatial software.
- Proficiency in demand modeling methodologies for transit service, including experience estimating trip volume, conducting origin/destination analysis, and projecting mode-split.
- Experience gathering and analyzing a broad range of economic, demographic, and other data using GIS and other tools.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, especially the ability to break down and communicate complex problems to non-subject matter experts.
What Catches Our Eye
- Experience conducting surface transit analysis and network design is preferred.
- Graduate level degree in transportation planning, urban planning, civil engineering or similar field from a top-tier program strongly preferred.
We’re Via, and we build technology that changes the way the world moves. We pioneered the TransitTech category to ensure that the future of transportation is shared, dynamic public mobility — the kind that reduces carbon emissions across congested cities, minimizes reliance on private cars, and provides everyone with accessible, efficient, and affordable ways of getting around.
Via was founded with the guiding principle that we go further when we go together. We’re committed to building and nurturing a team as diverse as the communities we serve. Bringing transportation equity to the world begins with championing equal opportunity in our own offices. All backgrounds, identities, and voices are welcomed and celebrated here.
We’re proud to be leading a worldwide transportation revolution and modernizing mobility for all. Through intelligently-designed systems and sophisticated algorithms, we craft localized solutions for each one of our global partners. Ready to join the ride?
Via is an equal opportunity employer.