Transfix, named to Forbes’ “Next Billion-Dollar Startups” list, is the leading transportation solutions provider whose digital brokerage marketplace and logistics software offerings are helping transform the $800 billion trucking industry. Since its founding in 2013, Transfix has been driven by a mission to deliver simple, smart, and sustainable solutions for shippers and carriers, powered by people and technology.
By combining deep industry expertise and a best in class carrier network with cutting-edge technology, Transfix is reimagining the world of transportation. Fortune 500 companies such as Staples, Unilever, Target and Wayfair rely on Transfix to handle their most important FTL freight needs. With instant pricing, algorithmic matching, superior service, and unmatched intelligence, Transfix is optimizing the supply chain from start to finish. Come leave a positive impact on the environment as we help reduce the carbon footprint caused by the 65 billion wasted miles on the road.
The problems we solve everyday are real and require creativity, grit, and determination. Recognized as one of Built In’s Best Places to Work 2021, Transfix is building a culture that challenges norms while fostering experimentation and personal growth. We’re hiring team members who are passionate and are energized by the vision to simplify and transform one of the largest and most complex industries through technology, data and a strong commitment to customers.
We are looking for a VP, Data & Analytics to lead a talented group of Data Scientists, Data Analysts, and Analytics Engineers. We manage a vast network of shippers and carriers that gives us a unique perspective on a critical component of the supply chain. The problems we tackle daily include price forecasting, recommendation models, risk assessments, scheduling optimizations, and workflow efficiencies.
Data is a central hypothesis for how we think about increasing efficiency across the industry. Leveraging insights from our data is core to how we think about adding differentiated value to our shippers and carriers. We believe that data should inform decision making across the company, data should be openly accessible and that all team members should be empowered with reporting tools and training, and that our data and reports must be accurate and performant. In this role, you will drive these values into practices.
Our analytics platform consists of Looker and SnowflakeDB. Our software platform is primarily built in Ruby, Python, and PostgreSQL on AWS. ETL and data replication workflows are managed using Airflow, Amazon DMS, and Fivetran. Model development leverages a combination of internal pricing data and external data providers (e.g. DAT/Dial-a-Truck, ITS/Internet Truck Stop, PC*MILER) and we make use of both statistical models (e.g. SARIMAX, GLM, logistic regression) and machine learning models (e.g. GBM, RandomForest, XGBoost). Our stack consists of Python, Pandas, sci-kit learn, statsmodels and Prophet.
Location: This role is remote and we are prioritizing candidates who are based in Eastern, Central, and Atlantic time zones. This role can also work from our NYC headquarters.
What you'll do:
- Leverage our data to inform strategic decision making and identify innovative products that help us drive supply and demand networks, pricing and cost mechanisms, workflow efficiencies, and risk management.
- Lead development of internally- and externally-facing data products: cross-functional operational reports, company-wide KPIs, dashboards, forecasts and prediction models, and analyses.
- Partner with Product Managers to ensure accurate collection of usable data from our software products for future analysis and reporting.
- Identify and quantify risk factors across our business and customers and build these into key decisions.
- Develop impact analyses and forecasts supporting product roadmaps and FP&A.
- Research opportunities to connect industry-relevant data to our internal data sets (e.g. macroeconomic indicators, industry indexes).
- Ensure a scalable data warehouse and reporting infrastructure, maintaining data accuracy and performant reports.
- Define processes for data governance, audit, and curation of accessible data sets and framework for controls around sensitive data.
- Drive data literacy and self-service access to data across Transfix, leveraging onboarding programs, training, and peer review programs.
- Build a team (currently 6 reports) that values diversity of background and experience through recruiting, onboarding, and developing talent.
- 8+ years experience working in Data Analysis and Business Intelligence oriented roles.
- 3+ years of leadership experience managing highly-performing teams, with responsibility for at least 10 people in your reporting line.
- You stay informed on modern data platforms, tools, and practices, and have worked with a variety, such as SQL, data warehouses, data marts, event pipelines, ETL, workflow managers, schema design, query optimization, and reporting and analysis tools (Looker, Tableau, etc.).
- Have partnered closely with (or led) data scientists and are familiar with concepts such as statistical modeling, machine learning, and advanced analytics and how they can be applied to software products.
- Strong project management and requirements gathering skills.
- Experience with formal compliance or data governance programs.
- Comfortable getting “hands-on” in a small team environment where people are wearing multiple hats.
- Have a penchant for delivering and instill this in your teams—favoring fast impact and learning over “perfect” solutions.
- Build trusting and constructive relationships with peers and stakeholders across teams and functions.
- Strong problem solver who is comfortable devising creative solutions when presented with imperfect data or constraints of time, people, or budget.
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics or another quantitative field.
To all recruitment agencies: Transfix does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be held responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.