VP, Head of Data Architecture and Governance
At OnDeck, we make small business a big deal. We’re improving the world’s economic landscape by changing the way small businesses access capital. We care intensely about each other, our company and the customers we serve, and are committed to making every day count.
Technology at OnDeck is a mix of building world-class user experiences for our partners and direct customers, data processing to enable underwriting model development and real-time lending decisions, automating operational and compliance workflows, and generating precise money movements and calculations to service our customers. We have an emphasis on scalability, security, reliability and accuracy.
The Risk Management team creates competitive advantage for OnDeck through excellence in risk/reward optimization while simultaneously exercising its function of control in a vigorous and diligent fashion. The Risk Management team develops strategies and models to extend credit in a profitable manner to small businesses and their owners based on a strong understanding of the behavioral and commercial drivers of its customers and on sophisticated analysis of data. As the control function of OnDeck, the Risk Management Team ensures that the portfolio, policies, strategies, new product features or operational processes at OnDeck are consistent with the risk appetite set by the management team and the board.
The VP, Head of Data Architecture and Governance position is a new strategic role for OnDeck and will report jointly to the Head of Technology and the Chief Risk Officer.It will have elements of data strategy, architecture and governance and will serve as a change agent to advance integrity, capability and data culture forward. As a first priority, this person will be responsible for launching and successfully deploying a fit-for-purpose data governance program across both OLTP and Warehouse environments, and co-lead a reengineering of our LDM and PDM across the board, including BI standardization.
Given the mission and values of OnDeck and the importance of this role, the ideal candidate will have one or more successful governance and/or data program deployments as the lead.They will feel equally comfortable influencing and directing, and find fulfillment in a fast, innovative technology enabled financial services company dedicated to serving small business.
As the VP, Head of Data Architecture and Governance at OnDeck, you will:
- Decrease the cost of managing data and increasing the value of the data we have.
- Move reporting and BI into a standardized approach, built on a foundation of “Truth”.
- Educate, influence and enforce best practices on all aspects of the data lifecycle.
- Work closely with stakeholders to interpret the business analytics requirements and drive changes to our data model in support of the company mission.
- Partner with constituencies in Risk, Product and Technology to choose tools and solutions where appropriate.
- Improve data quality and how we measure data quality.
- Ensure data is available, reliable, consistent, accessible, secure, and timely to support the mission and operating cadence of the enterprise.
- Align and standardize data models, and ensure new elements of the tech stack are in accordance with best practice data principles.
Necessary qualifications for success:
- Bachelor’s degree required; MS/PhD preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, including having implemented Data Strategy and Governance.
- A background in sophisticated quantitative environments within world-class risk organizations in small business or consumer lending.
- Strong data modeling and technical skills.
- Excellent communication/influencing skills and ability to navigate through matrix, integrated organizational structure and reach out to various constituent groups.
- Specific expertise and experience running large, sophisticated direct mail processes.
- Thorough knowledge of product segmentations, credit loss activities and key drivers of P&L.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally managing teams.
As the largest online small business lender in the U.S. serving more than 700 different industries, we have been trusted by over 80,000 small businesses by providing them with a term loan or line of credit to help them build growing and thriving enterprises. Since 2007, we’ve issued over $8 billion in capital.
Join us as we enable small businesses to achieve their goals. At OnDeck, we’re reinventing small business financing. We care intensely about each other, our company and the customers we serve, and are committed to making every day count. We are small enough to be nimble and strong enough to make a big impact.
Benefits for you:
OnDeck believes that each and every team member plays an important role in our company’s success. That’s why we strive to provide you and your family with a competitive and comprehensive benefit program with a variety of options and opportunities. We offer:
- Generous Vacation
- Comprehensive Healthcare
- Educational Reimbursement
- 401k Matching
- Parental Leave
- Sports Teams
- Stocked Kitchens
- Loan Consolidation
We are going to ask you to talk about your accomplishments. Here are some of ours:
- WorldatWork, 2017 Seal of Distinction
- Fortune 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity, 2016
- Fortune 50 Best Small and Medium Companies to Work For, 2016
- Fortune 30 Best Workplaces in Finance and Insurance, 2016
- Built in Colorado, Top 100 Digital Companies in Colorado, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Crain’s New York Business Fast 50, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Fortune and Great Place to Work 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials, 2015
- Fortune/Great Place To Work Great Rated! People’s Picks: 20 Great Workplaces in Financial Services, 2015
- Crain’s New York Best Places to Work, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Colorado SHRM Best Companies to Work For in Colorado, 2015
- Forbes’ America’s Most Promising Companies, 2013, 2014
- Selling Power Magazine Best Company to Sell For, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- 500|5000, 2013, 2014
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, OnDeck provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OnDeck complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OnDeck expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OnDeck’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**