Database Reliability Engineer
We all love what we do, and we all love doing it together, because we demand the best people to make the best Venmo.
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the foreboding walls of financial transactions to make them intuitive and even fun with friends. And it worked, people love sending money with Venmo.
But we’re not done. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place you use your money. We want to connect the people of the world with their money, in an intuitive way, then connect them with each other in a genuine way.
All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together.
Engineering at Venmo
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our infrastructure and building new features to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
Database Reliability Engineer:
As a Database Reliability Engineer at Venmo you will be responsible for helping to shape Venmo’s database infrastructure. You will be involved in making engineering decisions, developing the data models and managing the data platforms used by Venmo. You will be collaborating closely with engineering teams to design and build data layers for our highly complex environments. Specific responsibilities include:
Things you'll do:
- Automate the deployment and configuration of data layer
- Implementation, management and maintenance of Venmo’s database infrastructure
- Scale the data platforms to support growth while keeping Venmo services secure, fast and reliable
- Provide patterns and ensure there is a common understanding about the data technologies implemented at Venmo
- Reducing the level of technical debt of the data infrastructure
- Troubleshoot RDBMS and NoSQL engines
- Help triage bugs, track software defects, and ensure their timely resolution
- Stewarding technical standards and quality
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor and/or Masters in computer science OR related field of study
- 6+ years experience in software development or a related field
- Experience working on backend systems at scale, using technologies like MySQL, MongoDB, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Redis and Python
- Experience deploying and supporting horizontally scaling data services
- Experience building and deploying secure data platforms
- Experience with error logging and performance tools
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.