The Deputy Editor will own editorial vision and execution for NowThis’ breaking and trending news, with a focus on strategies that will help realize social growth (views and audience), monetization and expansion into new content formats and platforms. The Deputy Editor will work closely with NowThis’ Editor to help lead day-to-day newsroom editorial operations, delivering exceptional journalism, strong editorial voice and identifying processes that allow for continued growth in scale and impact. He or she will manage a growing team of producers/editors/journalists with a specific focus on the NowThis main channels (on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) as well as evolving breaking news initiatives. In conjunction with the Editor, the Deputy Editor will closely collaborate with the Head of Social Video & Publishing to develop actionable plans for maintaining appropriate content output to maintain audience growth and impact.
The Deputy Editor will be responsible for creating best practices around story assignment and approval processes, and will work closely with producers in cultivating ideas and angles for unique coverage of the daily news cycle. The Deputy Editor will work regularly with Head of Social Video & Publishing to further optimize video edits and packaging for best performance, including but not limited to team training, video structure, packaging, output goals, A/B testing, and developing new content formats. He/She will work closely with the Editor to maintain a consistent voice and tone in our coverage. He/she will assist the Editor in any other aspects of managing the newsroom and its staff, which may change as the priorities of the business and output evolve, and is expected to act as the Editor in her absence.
- Directly manage our News team of news video producers and writers
- Work with the Editor and with Head of of Social Video & Publishing on ways to grow audience and engagement on all channels
- Inspire and motivate producers in all aspects of video creation, ensuring they deliver timely, accurate, fair videos on-deadline
- Directly manage a cross-newsroom team of writers and copyeditors to ensure grammar, fact checking, and concise scripts.
- Monitor real-time news and be able to sniff out the most important and fascinating stories that can be translated to social video
- Source guest editors/bylines for additional points of view and editorial depth
- Communicate early and often with our Publishing team for video delivery and posting
- Works with the editor to develop (and execute) a cross-platform content calendar, identifying major tentpole events, issues and initiatives beyond breaking news, enforcing deadlines and overseeing big picture project management
- Identify opportunities for new vertical, series, product launches.
- Create training and mentoring programs and standards for newsroom staff
- Identify and manage a global pipeline of stringers and freelancers for breaking news coverage
- Working closely with the Editor and Management to concept, experiment and strategize new formats and platforms
- 7+ years journalism experience, ideally in digital media (video experience a plus).
- At least 3+ years editorial leadership or management experience
- A sharp understanding of social media and video platforms - and willingness to adapt as this fast-moving environment changes
- Strong news judgment and strong storytelling skills
- A creative thinker with breaking news experience, and a passion for news and video
- Highly organized: Ability to multitask, prioritize projects, and communicate progress under strict deadlines
- Proficient with fair use, ethics and permissions guidelines for news content
- Familiarity with footage sourcing and video editing
- Experience coordinating across departments: editorial, analytics, creative
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.