Brand Designer - Presale at theSkimm
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives. Since launching in 2012, theSkimm has become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimm’rs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way its audience consumes news and makes decisions. theSkimm's flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, and the company continues to innovate, finding new ways to Skimm everything from finance and careers to voting, wellness and downtime. theSkimm’s product suite has expanded to include two top-rated podcasts, “Skimm This'' and “Skimm’d From the Couch,” theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money and Press Pause newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, and Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video and audio content. theSkimm’s first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 and debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And we’re not done. By continuing to grow the breadth of theSkimm offerings in the life’s necessity categories and expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content and audio, theSkimm ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation -- and the ones that follow -- in the most critical areas of their lives.
The design team at theSkimm consists of ambitious, collaborative, and thoughtful designers, who work closely on all things related to theSkimm brand. We feel passionate and excited about designing products that millions of people touch on a daily basis. This role is a key member of the team, working directly with the brand strategy and creative team on campaigns. The ideal candidate has a sophisticated aesthetic, experience in presentation design (ideally at a progressive creative agency) and is comfortable working at a fast pace under short lead deadlines. You will be working with several areas of design such as typography, iconography, color, space and texture. You will use your knowledge, expertise and skills in all these fields to assist our sales team in creating visually engaging sales materials and mocks for brand partners.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Working in collaboration with our sales, brand strategy, and creative team to turn stories and ideas into powerful and beautiful dynamic visual keynote presentations and brand collateral.
- Come up with new, creative ways for the sales team to pitch ideas to clients, evolving existing templates and concepting new ones.
- Mocking up campaign and tentpole web experiences
- Collaborating with Sales on RFP and category decks.
- Concepting and designing creative for campaigns cross-functionally across the organization
- Innovate with the design team on evolving our visual language and brand.
- Maintain knowledge of design trends and techniques, while continuing to develop skills.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 3+ years of design experience, preferably at a progressive creative agency
- BFA degree is preferred
- Expert knowledge and experience with Keynote
- Presentation Design-focused experience, preferably within an agency environment
- Proficient in Adobe Suite: Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop
- Data and information design experience
- A sound design aesthetic with a solid understanding of typography and composition, and grids.
- An understanding of theSkimm's unique brand aesthetic and mission.
- The ability to refine other people’s ideas and come up with new ones to create a highly designed visual experience
- Can work collaboratively with a team, independently and under close direction
- Self-learning, able to learn new tools quickly and work in a fast evolving environment
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Passion for theSkimm's brand and products
- A strong understanding of our target demo since you read theSkimm every day.
Please include a link to an online or PDF portfolio with your application.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.