Brand Designer at The Farmer's Dog
The Farmer’s Dog is a leading tech-enabled pet health brand, on a mission to disrupt the $75B global pet food industry. The company is VC-backed by the early investors of Warby Parker, Dollar Shave Club, Sweetgreen, and Glossier.
In an industry with little regulation, constant recalls, and rampant misleading advertising, The Farmer’s Dog brings a fresh perspective grounded in quality, transparency, and personalization. Through a combination of proprietary technology and a lot of heart, we’re completely reimagining what pet food is and how it’s made and delivered. Our recipes are designed in partnership with vets, freshly-cooked to USDA standards using human-grade ingredients, and sent to customers through customized subscription meal plans. Since cooking and delivering their first batch of food from a cramped Brooklyn kitchen in 2014, The Farmer’s Dog has fed millions of fresh, healthy meals to dogs nationwide.
The company was launched after Brett’s battle to cure the stomach issues of his Rottweiler, Jada. He quickly realized just how broken the commercial pet food industry was - even the “organic” and “natural” varieties proved to be heavily processed - and it was only when his vet recommended a fresh, home-cooked diet that Jada began to improve and was eventually cured. Having witnessed first-hand the power of fresh food, he teamed up with Jonathan to rethink the industry from the ground-up and create the product they wished had existed for their own dogs (and dogs everywhere).
Join The Farmer’s Dog team as we continue to figure out ways of bringing peace of mind to customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
Only “dream job” applicants, please. #mustlovedogs
Everything is brand. From big, public campaigns to seemingly mundane day-to-day communications and interactions, everything a company makes, says, and does ultimately adds up to its brand -- and design plays an integral role in making it cohesive, distinctive, and memorable. We’re looking for our first-ever designer to lead the brand's visual expression across all touchpoints. Though certain foundational elements of The Farmer's Dog brand have already been defined, our Brand Designer will play a key role in continuing to evolve and expand the ways in which The Farmer's Dog comes to life internally and externally.
- Refine and codify The Farmer's Dog's overall brand design strategy and channel/touchpoint-specific design principles
- Lead the ideation and creation of all visual expressions of the brand, including organic and paid social media assets (static and short-form video), e-mail, print, OOH (including digital), editorial content, experiential activations, internal communications, and anything else that we might dream up!
- Contribute design thinking and execution to brand extensions and new product launches (including brand identity, packaging, and communications)
- Select and manage freelance and agency talent as needed
- Partner across functions (operations, engineering, customer experience, executive team) to understand and address design needs throughout the organization
- Proactively seek out and bring to the table new ideas, formats, and bits of inspiration that could inform our design and strategy
- Help instill a culture of brand-led design and creativity throughout the organization
- Extreme attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture of the brand
- Committed to a bold POV, but also receptive to input from anywhere
- Balance creative vision and proactive ideation with roll-up-your-sleeves execution (you will be a design team of one to start!)
- Curiosity and appreciation for all types of design and forms of creative expression, while still maintaining brand consistency and cohesiveness
- Passionate about understanding our current and prospective customers and figuring out how best to appeal to, and persuade, them
- Comfortable using -- and proactively asking for -- data to inform creative decisions
- Organized and masterfully manage your own time, knowing what to prioritize and when to delegate
- On top the latest cultural trends, styles, and memes, but never succumb to passing fads
- Always looking to improve your own design skills and philosophy, and tangibly applying them to our brand
- Strategically minded but driven by intuition
- Since you'll be thinking about, and designing around, them all the time, love of dogs (and dog people) is a must!
Health, dental, avocado toast, puppies