Creative Director at Foursquare
Foursquare is a location technology platform dedicated to improving how people move through the real world. We create products that construct meaningful bridges between the digital spaces and physical places.
Our Foursquare Business Solutions portfolio offers partners a deep understanding of place, with analytics dashboards, predictive tools, a developer API and more — all designed to generate insight on target audiences, advertising performance, foot traffic and customer behavior across locations of interest. Over 150,000 technologists at teams like AccuWeather, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Snapchat, Tencent, Tinder, Twitter and Uber have registered to leverage our intelligence. And to this day, Foursquare City Guide and Swarm, our consumer apps, maintain a community of millions of users worldwide.
The Foursquare team is nearly 300 strong, and based between our New York headquarters and offices in San Francisco, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Singapore. Join us and help invent the future of location!
About this position
At Foursquare, you’ll be working to fulfill our meaningful mission alongside some of the best talent in the industry.
In this position, you will help define the future of design at Foursquare and be instrumental in building our new and refreshed brand guidelines. You’ll be developing and managing a creative team made up of product and visual designers; building new workflows and processes, while crafting breakthrough work in a variety of mediums.
We are looking for a dynamic, seasoned manager who can align the right players to the right roles and help them succeed in those positions. As the team’s leader, you will need to create and run a proactive and scalable process for addressing all of the company’s varied design and creative needs ranging from websites to campaign deliverables (e.g. creative services, ad formats, etc) to the creation of a suite of enterprise tools for our clients.
The Creative Director needs to see the possibility in every opportunity - from large, complicated projects to the smaller, quick turnaround ones. The right candidate will be someone who has experience with branding and product design. We need someone who is strategic and hands-on. A Creative Director who is comfortable in a fast moving organization and excited to impact Foursquare’s products and business.
In this role, you will...
- Lead, coach and grow a dynamic team of visual and product designers plus UX researchers.
- Own the visual expression of the brand (graphics, typography, photography, and layouts) across all brand touchpoints including the creation of a style guide to shape everything we do -- from our website to our marketing collateral to our user-facing products.
- Establish a clear process to help the team manage and execute on a wide range of projects simultaneously from concept through development including web design, branding and product launches.
- Communicate a creative vision and ensure alignment with your various stakeholders from product to marketing to sales.
- Create and execute ad units and generate custom creative campaigns for our media clients.
- Manage external creative vendors and freelancers including video teams to develop digital and offline assets.
- Review and approve designs, artwork, photography, and graphics developed by creative team.
- 8+ years relevant experience and a portfolio that demonstrates thoughtful and well-executed creative work. Enterprise experience strongly preferred.
- You’re a seasoned manager who has led teams made up of various skill sets, backgrounds and levels. You have the ability to recruit and mentor a diverse team of designers. You recognize that coaching your team and helping them grow their careers is a key part of your job.
- You’ve ideated and executed integrated brand campaigns that have driven results. Preference will go to those who have experience with UX design and research as well.
- You’re proficient in Sketch, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Invision. Video production and post-production experience (Premiere Pro, After Effects) a plus.
- You’re amazing at getting buy-in from non-creatives and a strong strategic thought partner for internal stakeholders and external partners. You’re equally effective at communicating a vision to engineers, executives, and marketers.
- You’re extremely organized and a skilled project manager. In the absence of process, you’re comfortable and eager to build it.
- Flexible and effective at dealing with changes in direction or priorities.
- Proactively takes initiative to solve problems, always finding ways to work smarter. You care about the brand but are not afraid to ship.
- You are gifted at guiding others to produce their best creative work, but aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty.
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to be a part of building our company and the products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.